CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Berlin Turnpike pond????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Berlin Turnpike pond???? Reply with quote

Still working 12 hr days. I was on my way to Mickey Finns on the Berlin turnpike to grab a new pair of work boots when I noticed a truck pulled off the road and saw a guy casting his rod in what I always thought of as a highway drainage culvert. When I walked over to the guy, I asked what he was fishing for, no sooner his light action rod bent under the stress of his hookset on what ended up being a cookie cutter bass! There's bass in that little pond! I have a locking hard cover over my pickup bed so I always have my stuff with me, I went to my truck and grabbed two of my rods, a soft jerkbait on one and a hollow frog on the other. In less than 20 minutes of casting I ended up with a total of six Largemouth the heaviest of which weighed 3lb 1 oz. The other 5 were on the big side of average, about 14" in length with healthy girth's. They fought like MMA cage fighters! This little gem was stocked at some point by someone. I've been stopping there after work for about a half hour per night and have landed at least three bass every night for the past 7 days. There's also some large Bluegill in there. There's a lot of frogs and minnows and the water's pretty clear with a little tannic tint to it. You can cast clear across this place so it's quite easy to cover the majority of the pond from shore. The pond is located on the northbound side of the Berlin turnpike right before the bridge by Mickey Finns. Does anyone else have any experience fishing this little oasis?
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Berlin and pass that pond frequently. I've thought about what kind of fish it would hold but didn't know if the cops in town would have a problem with me parking near it.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
I live in Berlin and pass that pond frequently. I've thought about what kind of fish it would hold but didn't know if the cops in town would have a problem with me parking near it.

Nope, I had a state trooper pull up behind my truck, I stepped up with my rod in my hand and he looked at me, waved and took off. I'd like to know who built this little pond. There is river rock neatly placed on the eastern shoreline. It is obviously a man made pond and pretty well stocked with largemouth and bluegill that I saw and caught.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the Berlin turnpike pond today with the intent to see if there's anything of sizable dimensions lurking in there. The bass that I caught from this pond to date have all been in the realm of cookiecutter size, with three just breaking the 3lb mark. I used the Jackall Giron and a Sebile swimming minnow. These two baits usually get the attention of bass in the 3lb class or larger, today was no different than usual. I began using the Giron in the Ghost RT Bluegill finish, this is a very clear small pond so paying attention to the smallest of detail's can often yield tremendous results. I fan casted the Giron using a standard "twitch, twitch, pause" retrieve. It wasn't long before I felt the rod load up on a pause and set the hooks on a solid 3lb 5oz largemouth. I continued to work the Giron longer than I wanted to without a taker so I switched to the more violent action of the Sebile Swimming minnow. This bait requires a more speedy retrieve and will deliver some rod jarring strikes from the largest of bass. After about a half dozen casts I hooked into what felt like a big snapping turtle. It pulled slow & steady but with the force of a farm tractor. I was using #15 fluorocarbon line so I just kept moderate pressure and allowed it to take drag. I saw mud stirring as the fighter came slowly toward shore, I was seriously thinking I had turtle until it finally broke the surface and I saw the opened mouth of what appeared to be a #4 to #5lb class largemouth that sent my swimbait flying straight at me with one massive shake if it's head! I continued to fish the Sebile to no further avail. I'll be coming back here often. I did manage to catch a cookie cutter on the small side of average, using a lighter rod with a Zoom Super Fluke jr. It's jaw was completely dislocated and disfigured, it had been caught at least twice before as evidenced from the scarred over hook marks. Someone also left their empty weight container, an empty shooter, some wrappers and a birds nest of mono right on the shore of this little gem, just what it takes to get a "Posted" sign hammered into the ground. I did pick it all up before leaving. If you do visit this pond, please leave no traces of your presence.
hila2006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Dozer, some people are just a-holes and need to ruin things for others, nice job out there
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, props to you for picking up the slack. When the DEEP was waiting for us at the Winchester launch last time out, they thanked us for picking up 3 empty Poland Spring bottles when we came in. Some people really have no respect for our favorite fishing holes and it's a damn shame! Nice job on the fish man!
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdiggy wrote:
Yeah, props to you for picking up the slack. When the DEEP was waiting for us at the Winchester launch last time out, they thanked us for picking up 3 empty Poland Spring bottles when we came in. Some people really have no respect for our favorite fishing holes and it's a damn shame! Nice job on the fish man!

Earlier this year, some a$$hole thought it would be funny to leave Sierra Nevada beer bottles on stumps at Winchester. They ended up in MY recycle bin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
bdiggy wrote:

Earlier this year, some a$$hole thought it would be funny to leave Sierra Nevada beer bottles on stumps at Winchester. They ended up in MY recycle bin.

Probably siblings of same a$$hole(s) in blue dodge pick up at Quonnapaug Lake left cigarette box,latex gloves,bait box and beer cans on the edge of the water near porta potty.
Megaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: BERLIN TRPK Reply with quote

Great Post...good story!!! ive also driven by this little gem on rt 15...there are similar ponds off Rt 9 and off RT2 ...id go back with 50lb braid..and some soft plastics...Id tighten the drag..and if BIG onE hits again pull hard and hold CONSTANT Tension while reeling him in....he wont get away this time.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: