CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Looking into a Kayak. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dozer02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCAJ wrote:
I have a trolling motor on my Native Ultimate 12 kayak and it works great. I built a mount out of a few pieces of wood and mounted it right behind the seat. I don't have a picture with me right now, I'll send a pic as soon as I can.

I'm a pipe welder by trade so fabricating a mount would only be a 10 minute project. I can get all the necessary materials from scrap stainless tubing or pipe for free. I have nothing against rowing, but after pulling chainfalls and fitting/welding industrial piping all day, I'd rather just turn the throttle & get where I want.....Lazy, you bet I am after working a 12hr day along with 2hrs of commuting! Rowing is not a high priority when I'm beat up & exhausted at the end of a work day. Smile
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Freedom Hawk 12! Monster to carry with a 55lb thrust trolling motor. But freedom of the paddle in the way made it pleasurable. I mounted steering pedals in the pit and put the motor controls next to me on the port side.

If I had to do it again, as PECO said the Hobie Pro Angler would get my serious thought. Small batteries don't last as long as you would think. The problem you'll run into is you get comfortable and forget "How Far You Traveled" then have to paddle back. LOL

I went from the Pond Brook Cove launch to the Dam on Lillinhoa. A couple of miles from the launch. Paddling back against the current was a bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I had a Freedom Hawk 12! Monster to carry with a 55lb thrust trolling motor. But freedom of the paddle in the way made it pleasurable. I mounted steering pedals in the pit and put the motor controls next to me on the port side.

If I had to do it again, as PECO said the Hobie Pro Angler would get my serious thought. Small batteries don't last as long as you would think. The problem you'll run into is you get comfortable and forget "How Far You Traveled" then have to paddle back. LOL

I went from the Pond Brook Cove launch to the Dam on Lillinhoa. A couple of miles from the launch. Paddling back against the current was a bummer.

Sounds really nice! I only use my Starcraft deep-v on Lillinohna. I've been swamped by jet skiers and large crafts wakes when I had my Scanoe out there. I want the Kayak only for small pond use and quick after work trips local to my home in Meriden. That pro angler does look like a really nice option. I might just wait until next season to purchase, just in case newer/better models come out in time for Icast. That happens to me every time I purchase fishing equipment in the middle or at the end of the season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: