CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Ct fisherman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooksetwjm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, everyone has good points here. I posted this because speaking to a lot of people from the DEEP and to fisherman across CT, people felt the old style or record taking was completely bogus. Back in that day there was literally no way of telling that an angler could have stuffed a fish to make it weigh a good amount and set a record for a long long time. That was even said to me by a DEEP guy. Now with that being said, I personally do not fish for record fish but however I do to go out and wanna just catch 2lb 3lb fish all the time. If you were to ask any fisherman that tows a boat to candlewood and bass fishs, "do you go out for the shear fun of catching 2ln bass and do all research for small fish that don't mean a thing?" I can tell you they say of course not. I'm sure in the back of their minds they want a hog. Something to tell there friends, take pictures with and have a great story to tell. So I fish with the idea that maybe it's possible to catch a monster fish and have a great great story to tell and have cool pictures. Just to end my end of this conversation, what gets me personally sparked about all this and what was brought to my attention is there is no info on that mans catch. In 1961 there were pictures and other means to record a fish and catch. I'm saying call yourself and find out. How can fisherman go up against something like that when they can't even tell is about it?? Can't tell us length, girth, what it was caught on, the guys number, no pictures, nothing. Just kinda makes your mind work a little.
Hooksetwjm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone just have fun and keep fishing!!! So you all know, this has been brought up and is currently being checked by the DEEP. Not to take the record from him or to wipe it out. The record keeping is now being re looked at and revamped so that the system can't be in theory be cheated. They want to re look at that specific record because of lack of evidence towards the catch and the person who may have caught it. They really feel and it's been to there attention from anglers across CT that something might be wrong. All other records have evidence and a good record besides the Largemouth bass.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishingFiend wrote:
I have to disagree with you on that one Redneck.... Although possible (because nothing is impossible) I don't ever see anyone breaking the CT largemouth record. We have tons of pros doing tournaments in CT and they are using expensive technology to find fish...12-15 pounds is not a big deal when you go south or other parts of the country... But up north that would be very rare. Being that DEP told me that since the 70's the biggest one pulled up in CT was 9-10 pounds, I find it very unlikely that a 15 pound largemouth is anywhere in CT.... A 7-8 pounder is pretty rare, what makes you think that there's one out there double in size???? Check out the largemouth records around our state. CT and MA stick out like a sore thumb in my opinion. No pics, no length, no evidence, not real

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=6

Go back and re-read. Didn't say there was likely one more than 12 or close to fifteen today. In fact, if you go through the bass management data, this has become increasingly less likely. However, I am saying it's possible to beat and on the other hand I don't care if the old record stands for eternity. Give me a private pond, $$ and a decade to manage it and I could produce a 12+ pound bass. As the 2013 assessment mentions, you'd likely have to reintroduce some bass with better genes to grow larger and more aggressive, the type that has been fished out of CT waters over the last several decades. Ultimately, I just don't give a crap about a record setting bass, but a club with resources that was interested in pursuing this could do it in a managed environment. Of that I'm pretty certain.

Now I'm off to fish from this afternoon through Sunday Smile
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
FishingFiend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with hookset, a lot of good points here. I do agree with you redneck. Let's just keep fishing for fun and pray that we catch a 9-10 pounder. If I pull one of those up in CT waters, I'd be happy for life!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, a 10+ is one my bucket list, but it will almost certainly come down in FL or GA. One of my friends ran a division of PRACO for years and has promised to hook me up! I'm pretty happy with any fish that bends my rod.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Hooksetwjm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's awesome Redneck! I agree, that would be great to land a Bass that big! Good stuff
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has ever fished quabbin reservoir in MA you would know that place could certainly produce Bass of that caliber. That place and other places like it have so many resricted areas you really don't know whats in there.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of record to be broken here in CT. I'm sure I could knock off the pumpkin seed/ bluegill one from a private pond near me. Wasn't last year the year of broken records (didn't we break like 7 or something?). Cool point you brought up about how nobody has legit proof but I'm just proud that somehow our state pulled out that massive of a LMB. Also, candlewood doesn't have the record large mouths in my opinion, I think it definitely has the small mouth and yellow perch though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: