CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Pike?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bdeano1122

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Pike? Reply with quote

Does anybody have any luck his time of year for pike? I've only been getting smaller ones.
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pike catching experience is limited, but here goes:

I've caught two so far this year, both at Keeney; one at the end of May on a chartreuse Crankin' Rap, the other in early July on a chartreuse spinnerbait. Neither were more than 21".

We've also had two follows by two much larger pike so far this year; one just getting out of Wethersfield Cove heading South on the CT River on another Crankin' Rap and the other on our most recent trip to White Oak on July 19th.

Pike are at the top of my list as far as fish I want to catch. I've done real well on largemouth this year and they're fun, but I'd always rather go for pike than bass. I've bought so many pike lures this year its ridiculous. I missed the ice out period this year because Bill's boat wasn't ready and the river coves around me were too flooded.

When Bill and I are throwing ideas around about where to go, though I really want to go pike fishing, I've been choosing bass fishing spots instead especially this Summer.

I know we can travel to places like Bantam where the pike bite is good even in the warm weather, but some of the better pike spots are over an hour away from us, so we're more inclined to stay close and fish for bass.

However, the plan for the Fall is to get back on the river and hit the coves hard for pike as the temperature drops. Last October Bill boated a 27" pike in White Oak on a Crankin' Rap.

For us, we'll probably stick to Wethersfield Cove and White Oak Cove. I know folks have good luck at Haddam Meadows and or Salmon River Cove, but we've tried with no luck. We may, however, try the Mattabesset in Cromwell. We stopped at the Kayak launch site behind Dunkin Donuts this past Sunday and checked it out. I'm not sure if this stretch is where the pike are caught on the Mattabesset, but we may give it a shot.

I'm looking forward to throwing spinnerbaits, hard swimbaits, my new Suick Thriller, spoons and inline spinners very soon. Bring on the teeth!

Like you, I'm all ears for any pike fiishing info., especially on the CT River.

-Eric
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to anyone else reading this post, is the Mattabesset deep enough for a 14' alum. flat bottom boat?

-Eric
Bdeano1122

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome to hear that you try and target them. I never hear much about the fish. I am a salt water guy for sure but I live right on the ct river and wonder why I don't take advantage of it. Even though I don't know much about fresh water fishing I made a point of learning to catch pike. On my first outing I had one follow my spinner to the boat. I went to fishing factory and bought a pike lure and got my first pike yesterday. I also tried a floating tip up with a large shiner. I hear about most pike fishing in he fall but I'm dedicated to the fall striper run and albies etc. but I want to give it a shot and learn more.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally this time of year you have to find the spots they take cover (i.e., under the lillies and other shady sections of water to get away from the heat). The way the weather has been though, it's a tough call. If you're running spinners, get out over some submerged weed beds in 10-15 feet of water and run the baits a few inches deep. Don't alter your retrieve as it tends to turn them away. Try a few speeds, but keep it constant and keep your lure in the water all the way to the boat. They're known for boat side blasts!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fished for pike, but do know they prefer cooler temps in spring and fall like most stripers do.

Unlike pike, largemouth bass are able to tolerate warm summer temps. When we get those dry, hot summers, many larger pike end up dying due to water temps being too high for them anywhere in the water column.

Seeing you're more into the fall surf run, I'd recommend fishing the fall run and then once water temps get much colder in the salt and most fish have left the Sound, hit the pike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: