CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: fishing line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chumley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: fishing line Reply with quote

I was wondering what kind of line do you guys use i see all these differnt types i use old school mono i throw mainly spinning gear 10 -12 lb test but in a place like winchester lake there is so much timber hard not to get broken off

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you here chumley....I fished 20 lb braid exclusivly last year. Loved the strength and small diameter, but found windknots and end wrap to be a real pain when fishing a slow presentation of if there was a breeze. I also am concerned with visability on lakes like Quannipaug where the top of the water column seems to be really clear.....

I spooled my pitchin and jiggin rod recently with some 25lb Berkley big game mono and like the feel while casting in the backyard trying out the new stick..... However, if I break off during the season, I most certainly will go back to braid for strength concerns....

I am interested in the opinion of others on going all mono for the rest of my rigs or staying braid for cranking and worming......Would most say 14 lb mono on baitcasting and 10lb on spinning?

Thanks for any advise....

Brennan
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used gamma copolymer mostly last year. flouro on 1 flipping stick and on my dropshot rod. with gamma i was able to downsize alot. i use 6# on spinning gear and 12,14,and 17 lb test on baitcasters. 17 is on my other flipping stick. i will be trying viscious flourocarbon on a few different ronds next year.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw Berkley vanish fluorocarbon on all my rods except for 2.

On my topwater rod I throw 12# Spiderwire fusion, because it floats and keeps my topwter bait on top where it belongs.

On my frog rod I throw 30# to 50# Power pro braid , to cut through the nasty crap when a pig takes the bait.

On my dropshot rod I throw 8# flourocarbon for the finesse clearwater bite .

On all my other rods I throw 12# to 14# flourocarbon depending on conditions.

Hope this helps.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started using Sunline Defier or FC Sniper. Really good Japanesse lines.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckc, I have heard of sunline, but am unfamiliar with the other, are those fluorcarbon lines or hybrids? Can you be more specific on how you use them, what techniques for what size line diam. etc. I have heard good things about the Japanise lines, I just don't know anyone who has been using them. Is it as pricey as they say? Please enlighten me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree finding a line you like and can stick with can be tough. It's probably the only thing I consistently change year to year. For flippin'/'pitchin' the heavy stuff I use 17lb Trilene XT. I have a lot of confidence in that line. It does memory up a bit, but I don't fit more than 80 yards on a reel spool, you can get 4 or so reel spools with a small package. BPS XPS line is good stuff, and XL is good as well. I've had mixed results with various P-Lines, but the Flouroclear seems to be the best overall from them. I like using that for DS and shakyhead applications.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few small write ups on the 2 lines from the net:

FC Sniper is an excellent all around Florocarbon line. Fluorocarbon 100%, Tournament System Line. Good Sensivity, Low Strech, and Great Clarity. FC Sniper is one of the very best lines I have ever used on my spinning reels. The Everstart 2004 Championship and the 2004 US Open were won with FC Sniper.

Sunline is a new Japanese line company that has been generating lots of attention at the top levels of professional bass fishing. Top money anglers know that the only thing between them and the money fish is a thin strand of line and it had better be good.

Sunline's Shooter Defier line marks a real turning point in monofilament line technology. Shooter Defier is a second-generation co-polymer line that offers a smoother finish than ever before possible, giving you every advantage for casting distance and accuracy. The resin system of Shooter Defier keeps the line very supple by resisting water absorption, making it much easier to handle on casting and spinning reels. Shooter Defier comes in a stealth camouflage dark green to disappear in the water. Since Shooter Defier doesn't absorb water and resists UV breakdown it hold up under usage as well as fluorocarbon lines, so you don't have to spool up as often.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuckc for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the,.."if it ain't broke don't fix it!" school.

I've used Seaguar Carbon Pro fluorocarbon as my mainline for years now on everything from 6# dropshot rigs,..up to 20# for flipping and pitching! I like the way it handles and fishes and except for a few pike and pickeral,..I just never break off on a fish! Also these days because it's an older line,..you can occasionally get it for pretty cheap! Very Happy

I also use either Powerpro or Stren braid occasionally for special applications like frogs, mats and thick lily pads! Wink
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- give the suffix braid a try- the 65lb has treated me VERY well in frogging/flipping applications. Even better with big swimbaits and a 3foot leader.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickp wrote:
Mark- give the suffix braid a try- the 65lb has treated me VERY well in frogging/flipping applications. Even better with big swimbaits and a 3foot leader.

Maybe someday,..but I've got enough PP and stren to last me for about 10-20 years right now with as little as I use it! Wink
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot depends on what you have confidence with and what type of fishing you are doing. I have a pretty good mix of brands/types of line on my reels. I used to exclusively throw Berkley...XT, XL, and Big Game...just because it is relatively cheap and usually holds up. Lately though, it seems that not only myself, but others I fish with have had unfortunate luck with bad spools and line breaking at random times.

For the money, the P-Line Floroclear is great and you can get it in all size spools. If you have the funds to continuously re-spool with 100% floro, Gamma and P-Line are the way to go. I've heard of the lines from overseas, but never had any experience with them, but that doesn't mean to count them out.

I throw anywhere from 50# to 80# Power Pro for flipping in weeds or throwing a frog...especially up on Champlain or the Hudson where the chestnuts can destroy your trolling motor let alone your line. I'll go down to 12# Floroclear on a jig or carolina rig rod if the conditions warrant it. I started off with #25 Big Game for flipping, but the feel just wasn't there and I just have more confidence with braid. I've tried the Spider Wire Stealth and regular, but going back to the bad spools, those too didn't hold up and I broke off at least half a dozen fish this past season...and it was 50# line.

Probably one of the biggest reasons for break offs would be that the all-important checking of the line for nicks isn't happening. Any little nick or fray in the line and you're playing Russian roulette. The other part of it might be your knot. It may be that the type of knot tied isn’t necessarily the strongest or tied correctly, or it could even be that one forgets to lubricate the line before synching down on it. Mono/floro will heat up and that will weaken the strength immediately. Same with braid if you don’t burn the end you just cut. Just because ya get a clean cut with those fancy braid scissors, it doesn’t mean that the line won’t unravel and untie itself.

It never hurts to get a small filler spool and give some line a shot for yourself to see what you think...everyone is a little bit different.

Just my two cents put in a novel
Nickp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, If you tie a good knot with braid it should NEVER unfray/come undone. It should get tighter as you pull harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: