CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Surf reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bdeano1122

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Surf reel Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade my surf reel. Would I be able to use a van staal vs100 on a 9' rod. I very rarely use an 11' rod. I do plug and buck tail but always have some eels on me. I always see people with the 250 models but I don't need something that big right? I like my setups as light as they can be since I'm chucking that thing out all night.
Bdeano1122

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be thinking of the 150
fivestring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find a lot of opinions on this on the Stripers Online forums. I also think it comes down to your preference. I've used a VS200 on a 9' rod with no problems. Line capacity could also be something to consider, if you wanted to hold a decent amount of heavy braid.
bluefish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 150 is a good match up for 9' rod. I even use it on my mojo 10'6". The reel has plenty of line compacity with30# braid. Alot of guys go with the bigger vs i believe because of line comp, the line comes off the spool faster do to the size equaling longer casts and hell big reel = big fish. I hav a 150 and a 200 both work well for me here in CT. Good luck and remembet they r comin out with a new vs series.
striperswiper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to first figure out the type of surf you fish; rocks, beach, jetties, ct only, RI, cape cod, etc.... Then determine if you plan to change that in the future. From there determine the rod you plan to use in the future. For a 9' rod the 150 is fine. If you plan to upgrade your style of fishing and go w a 10-11' rod then the answer is different. If you plan to upgrade to a 10' or more the 200 or 250 is the way to go. If you can afford more than 1, get the 150 for the 9' and then look to the 250 matched w a Lami gsb 120M or similar rod. If you can only afford 1; go with the 200.
Line capacity with any vs is not an issue. I have taken big fish in big current w my 150 and 20lb fireline and never worried about line capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: