CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: My first yak trip
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: My first yak trip Reply with quote

I borrowed a non-fishing Emotion yak from a friend yesterday and tried it out in Wethersfield cove from 1pm-5pm. Very easy to use, reasonable space and surprisingly fast and manuverable. Granted there were no rod holders, no paddle holder and no tackle storage, but I did the best I could without getting myself too twisted up in myself.

I fished dead high tide and the subsequent outgoing tide and only managed one 2 lb largemouth pulled from a lay down on a senko for my efforts. I was throwing spoons and spinnerbaits mainly, for pike, which I saw none of. Oh well. Pike fishing is only going to improve from here on.

But I left the day totally relaxed and content having thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'll be getting a yak soon for sure. Nothing crazy, but just a basic fishing yak that I can use when bill and his boat are not available.

It was windy which made staying in one place and the ability to see weed lines impossible.

-Eric
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well congrats on your first yak outing. There is nothing like being on the water, instead of next to it. As far as getting a yak, you really don't have to spend much, you can modify a lesser expensive one for your first yak. We bought a couple cheap ones on clearance at Ocean State for like 60 bucks. I picked up a pair of inexpensive rod holder sets from Bass Pro and mounted them myself. They work great. You can get a small mushroom anchor and mount a cleat near the rear of the yak to tie it up. All for not a lot of money. Good luck.
Csteven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, I just started yak fishing this year, it is very, very addictive. It's so peaceful being out on the water, and once you catch something, man what an awesome feeling. My wife is concerned and she should be! Very Happy I'll be out for the first day of blackfishing here in NY next week, can't wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: