CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: White Oak / Crow Point 9/29
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: White Oak / Crow Point 9/29 Reply with quote

I fished White Oak with Bill yesterday morning, launching out of Keeney. We were on the water around 6:30 as the tide had just started going out. That made exiting Keeney easier, as the water level is very low. We hopped across to White Oak where I had to jump out and walk the boat all the way in.

The morning started very foggy but very calm. I was targeting pike only, throwing Dardevles, a Johnson Silver Minnow, a Keitech Swing Impact Fat, a Booyah Pikee, a Grassmaster jig, a Mag-Force Rat-LTrap and a 5" Zoom Super fluke. I left the Senko at home Phil.

We fished until 11:30 and the final tally was a measly five fish: two mediocre largemouth and one giant crappie for me, one tiny largemouth and one 22"ish pike for Bill. I'm sure we missed a few more. Not our best day but very relaxing and we had fun. Plus it was very pleasant weather-wise and I got to try some new lures/techniques.

Due to the outgoing tide, we push-poled out of White Oak but had to walk the boat from the CT River all the way around the bend in the channel that leads from the river into Keeney. Quite a workout! But again, laughing and joking the whole way.

Bill wants to hit Upper Moodus one final time this year but I'm in full on pike mode. We're both attending the pike seminar hosted by CT Outfitters this coming Thursday evening. I'm excited to take whatever I can from Benoit Vnh. It's sort of frustrating; wanting pike but not catching them. Oh well, at least I'm having fun Smile

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try big spinnerbaits, too. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
You should try big spinnerbaits, too. Wink

Those big Mepps spinners with the big bucktail are well known pike and muskie lures.
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

I have three Mepps spinners of different sizes: a #5 bucktail, a firetiger Magnum Musky Killer and a black double blade Musky Marabou, which is ridiculously huge. I admit, I'm a sucker for BIG lures. I don't fish them much though. Perhaps I need to invest a bit more time with them.

The lure I was getting familiar with on Sunday was a 5" Zoom Super Fluke in pearl with a chartreuse tail. I had it rigged on a 3/32 Owner Twistlock swimbait hook and I was trying it out as a weedless soft plastic jerkbait. I liked it and had a follow or two on it. I may try an un-weighted hook in the future though.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
The lure I was getting familiar with on Sunday was a 5" Zoom Super Fluke in pearl with a chartreuse tail. I had it rigged on a 3/32 Owner Twistlock swimbait hook and I was trying it out as a weedless soft plastic jerkbait. I liked it and had a follow or two on it. I may try an un-weighted hook in the future though.

You can put that on a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jighead with the hook exposed and drag it over the bottom. That's a striper lure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: