CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Stripers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

Headed down to Seaside arriving at Breezy Point just before 2pm Sunday. High tide was scheduled for 2:44pm and Bridgeport Harbor read 63 around 11am.

Tried throwing a number of lures as I worked back and forth at Breezy Point but niente.

Later I ran into one of the usuals as he casted smaller topwaters in the calmer waters by the sandbar at Breezy Point. I casted with him but both of us never got a hit, swirl, or follower. He and I then went over to the city ramp where he didn't stay long but I stayed.

Tried playing topwater mostly and also threw the FLR-10 and LC-12 but niente.

Last stop was the rocks by the pier. Around sunset is when I could see clouds of fish making their way in and a school just under the surface moving fast. Never saw any nice splashing but did have a schoolie explode on a bone chartreuse XRW-11.

Hit the road just after 6:45pm.

Well it looks like bluefish are mostly gone with not much bunker around either. Stripers have taken over and are feeding mostly on the 4" shiners as they wait for the shad to arrive.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! not much bunker around? From Cedar point up to Fayerweather, they're so thick you could walk a half mile on the water. Still nothing underneath them though.

Nice skunk report again.

Michael, you should try blackfishing from shore by St. Mary's or by Fayerweather light towards 2A. At least you'd get the rod bent.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 10 days ago it was an absolute slaughter in the harbor. lasted thurs-saturday. i missed it though

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I headed back to the ramp, jetty, rocks, and island today arriving just before peak high.

I was expecting great action due to the southerly flow, moist air, and overcast skies but niente.

The only action anybody saw or reported was birds working off of the beach where there was a boat. That area was the same spot I saw birds and the same boat yesterday. One of the usuals couldn't even get out to them with his 9 footer and 3 ounce pencil popper. The birds and fish never made it close enough. Others were reporting they were mostly bigger bluefish.

I also got a report that bluefish were active in the harbor in the morning feeding on bunker. I'm surprised blues and bunker are still around after all this rain, wind, and cold we've been having and that local water temps are in the lower 60s. Last year water temps in mid October were still in the mid 60s.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
HA! not much bunker around? From Cedar point up to Fayerweather, they're so thick you could walk a half mile on the water.

You got the boat to get out to them and find them while myself and many others at Seaside are stuck on shore where the action hasn't been like it was 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Keep the reports coming!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Blues are definately not Gone Reply with quote

10/13/2014

BLUES DEFINATELY NOT GONE

Hit the river and break walls. I had a school of chompers go nuts over this bass. When I threw the half I caught in he water the school came back and tore the water up. A guy fishing white buck tails was getting big ones. Shore guys in waders were hammering the stripers and blues on top water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Only a matter of time before some idiot starts live lining bass to catch bluefish.

I think we still have a solid month of blue and bass action on the sound.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were fishing for stripers. The blues wouldn't leave me alone. Didn't bother my partner. Lost two jigs instantly with the blue bite.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey WannaFish, I was just reading RichZ's blog and saw the same photo! Caught me by surprise. What a privilege it must be to fish with him. I've only read his blog but I'd give anything to be in the boat and learn from him. Nice report.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio wrote:
Hey WannaFish, I was just reading RichZ's blog and saw the same photo! Caught me by surprise. What a privilege it must be to fish with him. I've only read his blog but I'd give anything to be in the boat and learn from him. Nice report.

He knows his stuff. Out fished me 57 o 3. o figure. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: