CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Tautog fishing!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Tautog fishing! Reply with quote

Went to Megs point in Hammonasset last Thursday the 16th. This was my first time fishing for Togs from shore and I lost a lot of crabs. lol

I did manage to catch 2 keepers and lost one at my feet .So then the fun started and I tried to filet them at home. What a hack job. They tasted great but looked awful. I have since looked up "how to filet a Tog" and found the skin has to be pulled off with pliers.

I plan on giving it another try next week.

On another note: I heard from a buddy of mine the stripers are biting in RI. Charston breechway has been hot in the early morning before and right after sun up. I may give this a try soon.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an electric filet knife, which really makes it pretty easy, and quick to filet blackfish, or any other large quantity of fish. As far as the skin goes, I'd never try to pull it off with a pliers. A good sharp filet knife held at a slight angle to the filet board, hold the tail and cut. You're done in seconds.
tricky912

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had to break down a tog, but I assume you can use the same technique many people (including myself) use for catfish. When you make your cut along the spine to remove the meat, don't go all the way through the tail. Leave it attached and flip the filet over so that the flesh is facing up. Then run the knife between the skin and flesh making sure to apply pressure down towards the cutting board. This allows you to use the fish carcass for grip instead of a tiny piece of slippery skin. I find this method very easy and quick. If you don't have a filet knife, It does help to have a knife that can flex slightly.
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I hope to have more chances to practice. Very Happy
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pliers lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: