CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Yellows Were Feeding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Yellows Were Feeding Reply with quote

Arrived at Mondo Ponds at 1:20pm Friday. Conditions were overcast, cool, damp, northerly breezes up to 10 mph, and a low pressure system approaching. Plan was to stick with the main pond mostly. Was hoping for an active bite due to the drop in pressure and storm system approaching.

Started off at the spring crappie area with the HJ-6 and J-7 but not a single tap or swipe.

Kept moving around the main pond until I come to a spot that produced a 9" yellow perch on the HJ-6.

At another spot I missed out on another yellow. Was surprised to not get any pickerel to hit yet.

As the afternoon went on I hit a number of spots at the main pond. Chain pickerel didn't start hitting until it started to drizzle, which resulted in 2 no bigger than 14" around a pound. Yellows were the active ones. At 1 spot I landed another 2 and had 1 hit it. Another spot landed me 1 more.

Before leaving I hit the spring crappie area which resulted in a dinky pickerel.

Hit the road around 4:30pm.

Yellow perch sizes were 9", 9", 10", and just shy of 11". The bigger 11"er was very chunky and had a tummy full of those tiny sunnies they've been feeding on. The fish felt just shy of a pound.

2 patterns I've been seeing with the yellows are they hit the HJ-6 on the pause whenever it's near a good drop off with structure and keep an eye out for hooded mergansers constantly going underwater. Whenever you see the hooded mergansers constantly going underwater at a small lake or pond this time of year, you know there's plentiful small bait around for fish such as the yellow perch to be feeding on, making the fish as active as the birds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: