CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT swimbait fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonstopfishing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: CT swimbait fishing Reply with quote

Hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone uses any big swim baits, and catches fish frequently with them. I use them a lot when I go down south but never up here. Does anyone have any good spots or tips for big swim bait fishing in CT. Thanks
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Reins and Kietech swim baits on 3/8 to 3/4 jig heads. Research Paul Mueller on Google/fFacebook. He has some awesome videos that show how he does it. I have to admit if you follow his directions you will catch fish. You don't necessarily need to use the exact same equipment but his has produced.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen reports on another forum of fishermen using those bigger 8" rainbow trout swimbaits and catching bass ranging from 4 to 7 pounds, including big pickerel. Trolling is what they do most.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had a bassboat, I used to throw Mattlures swimbaits and occasionally 8" huddleston trout lures pretty regularly. I had decent success with all of them,....many fish from 3-7lbs,.. but they are not magic and are never going to be somehting that you will catch fish with every time. The bigger the fish are that you target,..the less fish that you will catch overall. That is always the tradeoff!

The hud's are 5 ounces and really too big to throw from a kayak IMO, but I suppose that you could troll them.
The Mattlures babybass, perch and trout patterns are 5-6" and only a couple of ounces so they can easily be thrown from a kayak and they definitly catch fish. Just like any other lures you will do best with them when you fish them around structure,...

I am not going to name any lakes,..if your lake has decent sized bass they will work there! You also do not have to throw them a mile,..I always did better with them by making smaller casts so I could put them where I thought the bass would be,....around drop-offs, stumps, points, weedline edges etc etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: