CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Atlantic Herring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cd662

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Herring Reply with quote

Has anyone been out yet? I haven't had a chance to go, and it's been such nice weather lately that I find myself doing other things. It's not real herring fishing unless it's 20 with a fierce wind, after all.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was out today. kept 12, threw back a lot. Like 50
they are around for sure. go an hour before sunset and fish til dark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, that was the plan anyway. The tide looks favorable. There were a few days a few years ago where I killed them right before sunset. I've never seen anyone throwing herring back though, now I'm curious what you use them for! Smile
fishingkid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught a few last night.
I usually freeze them and use them for bait in the spring.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cd662 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, that was the plan anyway. The tide looks favorable. There were a few days a few years ago where I killed them right before sunset. I've never seen anyone throwing herring back though, now I'm curious what you use them for! Smile

use them for food. don't need more than what i will eat so i throw back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat them too, mostly fried. I struck out when I fished, no one was catching anything but that's how herring goes. I'll probably try again on Saturday.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont limit yourself to 1 spot. try to find a couple spots that are near each other so you can move if there's no fish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one I ever caught I fried and did not like. This is my 5th year pickling and I thought I would pass this on.

http://honest-food.net/2011/03/08/swedish-pickled-herring/

Best pickle recipe I have found. Most recipes don't tell you how to prepare fresh herring, only salted. This one has instructions for both ways and the herring I pickled ten days ago is still firm. I cut down the sugar to a couple of tablespoons because most recipes I have done to the letter are too sweet for my liking.
Most important note besides what is included is cold, cold, cold...make sure liquids at every step have been chilled before it touches the fish.

I know C. Daddy dry salts his...I am going to try that next batch.

Six or eight herring will make a quart if you use about one onion, a carrot and half a lemon.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest -

That's a good idea, I was in a rush and just fished for about an hour or so. I usually go to Fairfield, but sometimes I stay here in Milford, and I tried Norwalk also. Never really tried Stratford, I know people fish at Bond's Dock for them.

Sea Duck -

I'll have to check that out. I tried a similar pickling recipe with hickory shad one time and it did NOT come out good.
Cd662

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any still floating around? I've had a terrible season. Someone told me most of the run occurred early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: