CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 01/10 and 01/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 01/10 and 01/11 Reply with quote

I hit the ice for the first time this year at Batterson Park Pond. Yeap, I know what you're thinking: "It's not open for ice fishing, yet." Well, there's a story behind that. The DEEP's Facebook page says that it's not open, yet:

However, the DEEP's web page for the Batterson Park Pond Boat Launch says that the "Season" is "Year round":

So, since the DEEP's own web page says that the pond is open, Dan1 (aka Dan), TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and I decided to try for some walleye on Saturday night. We were on the ice from about 5:00 pm to about 8:30 pm. We set nine tip-ups with pike shiners, and Dan and I jigged. We didn't get a single nibble or flag in the darkness. After we called it a night, we decided to try again on Sunday in the light.

Here's where things get interesting. When I arrived at the ramp the next morning at 11:15 am, I saw a DEEP pickup truck in the parking lot. There were about 30 people out on the ice. When the Conservation Officer (aka CO) got out of the truck, I asked her whether the pond is open. She said, "No". When I asked what her plan was, she said she would check for fishing licenses and short fish, and kick everyone off of the ice, but wouldn't ticket for fishing. When I told her about the DEEP's web page, she said that she hadn't seen it. Luckily, I had printed it out this morning and gave it to her. She said that she would call it in to her sergeant. After a short while, she hadn't heard back from her sergeant, so she said that her plan was to still check for fishing licenses and short fish, but she'd allow everyone to stay on the ice and fish. Whoo hoo!

Dan showed up and we headed out onto the ice, where we met up with Metalfish (aka Ian). Ian and his buddy, Mike, had already jigged up some yellow perch. After Dan and I had set a couple of tip-ups, the CO came out on the ice, and gave us the bad news: Her sergeant had finally gotten back to her and told her to kick everyone off of the ice. Damn!

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on 02/24. Oh, and we found seven inches of ice pretty much everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following the Batterson Park " is it legal to fish" controversy as I love walleye fishing and live close by in Bristol. ...Nice job Peco to flush this out for us....
Dan1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also note that she was out there because of a resident complaint. Apparently home owners in the area are snotty about public use of public property. Even though the public pays for the upkeep and maintenance.

Also, in addition to the website saying year around, the Angler guide stating they fully expect changes to take place in 2014, there are no posted signs at the launch about the area being closed.
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time no see Phil....I heard about your adventure...But apparently today the DEEP put a CLOSED sign up and will be a bit stricter than just kicking people off.If it's a go after February 24...You know where i'll be.Ice or no ice.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: