CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jigging Rap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Jigging Rap Reply with quote

Just paid for my 2015 all waters license and grabbed 2 Jigging Raps on Ebay to go with 1 other and a Jigging Shad Rap.

Many people have always been so amazed at how well myself and others do with the Rapala Jigging Rap. The main trick is the "snap" and "twitch" technique, which helps send out vibration and annoys fish as they look at it.

As you watch the video, you'll see me doing the "snap" technique. After giving the Jigging Rap 3 to 5 "snaps", pause for 1 or 2 seconds. Then comes the "twitch" technique. Lift the lure up slowly as you give it 3 to 6 twitches. After that just let it fall and start all over after pausing for 3 to 5 seconds.

My biggest fish through the ice was my personal best 5.1 pound brown trout out of Candlewood with a Glow Tiger W-2. The brown took it on the quick drop after the "twitch" technique.

Link
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Mike! I told everyone that I had to tell you that I caught my first ever fish through the ice with an unbaited lure while using a Rapala Jigging Rap. And then my second. And then my third. Well, you get the picture. Laughing

I had tied on the Jigging Rap merely to weigh down a line that had a baited hook on it, drop shot-style, and the fish ignored the bait completely. I didn't even choose the lure. Dan1 (aka Dan) couldn't find any weights in my sled, so he grabbed the Jigging Rap for me, instead.

I have to admit that you're right about the Jigging Rap, at least for yellow perch and fallfish. Go Team Rapala! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people always say to dress the hook with bait, but with the Rapala Jigging Rap and the technique, there is no need to spend extra money on bait such as waxies, mealies, mousies, spikes, etc.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best times with the Jigging Rap vs the other fisherman was at Black Rock Pond.

We were jigging for trout in the same area. I was using the traditional Glow Tiger W-2 unbaited while the other was using a Kastmaster with mealies. As I kept getting hits and setting the hook, the other fisherman kept getting trout taking the mealies but not setting the hook.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was another one of those Glow Tiger Jigging Rap days where the person would say, "Michael's got the hot hole here!".

I was nailing those yellow perch in 1 hole with the lure while the 3 others weren't getting much attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: