CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Canned Sardines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BucksandDucks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Canned Sardines Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to ice fishing and was hoping to pick a few brains.

Has anyone had luck with canned sardines in place of other live bait? I don't know of a place that sells bait in my area, but I have to think the oil and salt that sardines are packed in would make a pretty decent bait.

Also, any tips on locating fish? I don't want to spring for a depth finder or pop ups, so I'm thinking that I can drill a bunch of holes in an area, rig up some empty water bottles with line and a jig & sardine and let the fish tell me where they are.

Any other beginner tips are appreciated. Have been fishing my whole life, but this is my first year in CT, so the ice is new to me. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to learn how to ice fish is to go with somebody who already has some experience. Or ask the ice fishermen around you. Not all of them are jerks. Well, usually. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to pick me up from my place on a day I'm not working, I'd be happy to start you off with just jigging.

Going around drilling many holes and jigging is a better way to get into fish instead of being lazy by staying in 1 area with tip ups and bait.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Going around drilling many holes and jigging is a better way to get into fish instead of being lazy by staying in 1 area with tip ups and bait.

Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, sardines are way too flakey to stay on a hook. However, anchovies seem to hold up ok. I also picked up some frozen smelt and canned shrimp and clams. Haven't tried those yet, but I'm optimistic something will work if I can actually put it in front of a fish.

Mike, thanks for the offer, sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get smelt from the fish counter. I've heard of people having luck using worms on tip ups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: