CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Kayak Fishing Report 10/12/2014 Branford local Reefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishndaze

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Kayak Fishing Report 10/12/2014 Branford local Reefs Reply with quote

Had the pleasant opportunity to meet up with Kevenshaw, SheltonTom and PRO12, to do some tautog fishing at the local reefs near branford. We all met up at parker memorial park for the launch and hit the water by 7:30 am. The tidal prediction for that area was a little off by what it said for the times, when we launch the tide had already gone out quite a bit and by the time we got done the 2 mile paddle to the first spot the wind was blowing fairly strong making it difficult for us to hold anchor. PRO12's anchor wouldn't hold so he and Ken paddled to a set of islands about a half mile from the reef while Tom and I stayed anchored at the spot we had chosen to first fish. Tom hooked up on a black sea bass and few tautog mostly shorts. I had a few bites and one hook up that got loose on the way up. The bite stopped and so we made several attempts to find other stops at which point the current picked up and my anchor wouldnt hold so we paddled over to Ken and Paul because ken texted me that they were hooking up on some decent fish. By the time we got there the bite had nearly died off however Tom did land another short tog. We all decided to start making our way back while the tide was still flowing in strong with the wind to our backs making for a very quick and easy paddle back. We all fished a couple of small rocky islands near the mouth of the branford river without success so we called it a day and headed back to the launch. It was a very nice day to be on the water and a great experience with fellow forum members. I look forward to many more opportunities to go out with these guys and have fun fishing. All of our fish were caught on green crabs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56433000@N02/15342490658/

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Last edited by fishndaze on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
PRO12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good time as well with Kevenshaw, SheltonTom and fishndaze and a good night sleep after Very Happy . I was ready to hit the tautog fishing again Monday but work got in the way.. Who knows what the weekend will bring. I was ready to put the kayak away for winter But now I have tautog fever while it is still warm .
Csteven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, thanks for sharing.
SheltonTom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great day out on the yak with some great people. next time the larger fish will be a bit more cooperative. Anyone fish for togs out of Milford? Looks like there might be some structure around Charles Island off of Silver Sands.
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time as well and learned a lot. For example.... 12 lb test does not hold well against blackfish. Man, do blackfish fight!! I'd be up for one more fishing trip if you guys are game. The kayak is not put away completely.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys had a great day, thanks for the report. I used to use an eight lb barbell which didn't always hold on windy days. I switched to the grapnel style anchor. The tines grab better and you tie your line to the bottom of anchor and zip tie it to the top, which makes it almost impossible to loose in rocks. If you snag, the zip tie releases and the anchor turns over and the tines fold up for easy retrieval. I didn't think I'd like it, but I do.
SheltonTom wrote:
I had a great day out on the yak with some great people. next time the larger fish will be a bit more cooperative. Anyone fish for togs out of Milford? Looks like there might be some structure around Charles Island off of Silver Sands.

I have fished Charles Island, and it can be hit or miss for blacks. Great for porgies though. A friend went out last friday, and didn't get any blacks, but did get some nice sea bass. I prefere to fish woodmont for blacks. Lots of productive rockpiles and real close to shore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_JwWadmWIU&list=UU794g8nKUnmWJ-UJ2P5Gcwg Parking can be a problem though if your not from Milford.

Last edited by fish4fun on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
fishndaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheltonTom wrote:

I looked at that area on the navionics chart and it looks promising. Im hoping to plan some trips on the weekends next year to fish that whole area. Is it possible to launch from the beach of Silver Sands Park ? if so it would be a short paddle to where you could possibly find very nice fishing. although the Launch would be unprotected from even the slightest wind so expect to get wet going out and coming in haha.

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you guys anywhere close to Thimble Islands. On the map it looks close.

Seems like a great kayak destination but not sure about currents/tides/boat traffic etc.
fishndaze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:

Seems like a great kayak destination but not sure about currents/tides/boat traffic etc.

We were about a 2 mile paddle from the outer island of the thimble islands. I've only kayaked out there once and it was a very calm day but even as calm as it was the currents near the outer island and the reefs out there are very strong and also not easy to navigate because they are very unpredictable. Looking at a navionics chart you can see there's a 100 foot drop off just 200 yards off the coast of the outer island which is an indication that a lot of water has eroded the sea bed in that area. I wasn't able to fish that area because of the current but I did mark a considerable amount of sea life. In the shallow spots of the reef I was observing shools of bait fish and around the drop offs I was marking some nice size fish. If you brought a 10 - 12 pound wreck anchor you might be able to hold and fish that area but in a kayak drifting is not possible because you are drifting way too fast. I recorderd a 3 mph drift in that area. Also I've heard stories of that area becoming a nightmare when the seas get rough.

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishndaze wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:

We were about a 2 mile paddle from the outer island of the thimble islands. I've only kayaked out there once and it was a very calm day but even as calm as it was the currents near the outer island and the reefs out there are very strong and also not easy to navigate because they are very unpredictable. Looking at a navionics chart you can see there's a 100 foot drop off just 200 yards off the coast of the outer island which is an indication that a lot of water has eroded the sea bed in that area. I wasn't able to fish that area because of the current but I did mark a considerable amount of sea life. In the shallow spots of the reef I was observing shools of bait fish and around the drop offs I was marking some nice size fish. If you brought a 10 - 12 pound wreck anchor you might be able to hold and fish that area but in a kayak drifting is not possible because you are drifting way too fast. I recorderd a 3 mph drift in that area. Also I've heard stories of that area becoming a nightmare when the seas get rough.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wasn't planning going to the outer island, mostly around the inner islands. I read there is about 300 of them? Is that right?

Might not even fish out there....just cruising around.

Only way I'm going into the sound is on a nice/calm day. I'm a rookie so might not even do it until next year.
fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Chaoski Reply with quote

Hey ChaoSki, If you are interested in cruising around the thumble islands let me know. I regularly fish that whole area and plan on doing it even more this year. There are two areas good for launching depending on where you wanna go, None of the islands allow you to land except there is a visitor center on the outer island which is a decent paddle from the launch in Stony Creek, the launch is a concrete boat ramp and its best to go as early as possible because parking is limited. The second launch area is called Oweneego and you need to know someone who is a member in order to launch from there ( I'm a member, If you are interested and in the area PM me ). Oweneego is a great launch because there is alot of different areas to fish for practically every species of fish that inhabits the LI sound. Negros Head reef is just a 1/2 mile paddle from the launch and Branford reef is another 1 mile from Negros Head. Also, Owneego is part of the group of the thimbles that aren't as close together. The launch at owneego is protected my a stone jetty so even in windy weather going out and coming in is very easy and worry free. I would highly recommend giving that area a trip this year because you will probably get addicted to it as have I.

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Chaoski Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite, I might just take you up on that!

Planning on starting off on small ponds and gain some experience kayaking/fishing. I'm a rookie hehe I looked up that area on Google/found it on 10 best kayaking in CT or something. Looked really nice.

To be honest, I never even fished salt water.... Embarassed Mostly fished Carp.

Do you spray off your rods/kayak after each trip?

Confused
Mikeymike89

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to kayak fishing this year but would love to meet up and go off the coast a bit. I'm in the new haven area and have been fishing the housatonic mostly but want to go at night or early morning for stripers off Branford or anywhere really. If interested let me know. I'm down for checking out any area.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: