CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Mattabessett Monster 10/5/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul gotta fish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Mattabessett Monster 10/5/14 Reply with quote

Launched at dawn from the Cromwell location, and made my way about a half mile down river and started throwing a black Zoom Horny Toad at laydowns and over grassy stretches, hoping for a late season bass or early season pike. Not getting a single hit, I switched to my favorite black and red spinner bait with gold and silver blades. As I approached the Coginchaug intersection, I had a savage hit, and pulled in a nice 33 inch Northern Pike. Three casts later, I hooked up with and pulled in another 34 pike, almost a twin to the first! Not bad action for a short stretch of fishing. As I drifted another 50 yds or so downstream, something massive struck my lure and nearly pulled my rod out of my hand! I set the hook hard, and the fish pulled back just as hard, actually pulling my arm into water. I quickly flipped off the anti reverse lever and carefully back reeled this fish as it fought, instead of relying on my drag. Thankfully I had on 20lb braid, because it dove to the bottom, cut back and forth between the grasses, and kept trying to wrap around anything it could find. A good 5 to 8 minutes later, I pulled to the side of my canoe one of the heaviest largest freshwater fish of I've ever caught.[img][/img]

I assume this monster is a Channel Catfish. It measured 29 inches long, had a girth of 19 inches, and weighed in at 13.5lbs! It was the first catfish I ever caught in that river, and the first I ever caught on a spinner bait. After taking mulitple photos, measurements, and a video, I thanked him for the valient fight, and carefully held him in water to help him regain his strength. After a minute or so, he forcefully broke free from my grip and dove back to the bottem of the river. What a rush, God I love fishing!

[img][/img][img][/img]
Cd662

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an absolute beast! You never know what those fish are going to bite on. Congrats on back to back Pike too.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That channel cat is a monster! WTG!

Channel catfish are great fighters for their size.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fish. That place is loaded with pike, carp and catfish.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish

Is there a good kayak launching spot in that area?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The launch is beside the Dunkin Donuts (Close to the 99 Grill) in Cromwell.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, you could launch near the Dunkin' Donuts on Shunpike Road in Cromwell and paddle downriver, launch at Harbor Park in Middletown and paddle up the Connecticut River to the mouth or launch at the Connecticut River State Wildlife Area in Cromwell and paddle down the Connecticut River to the mouth. Lots of options. I've done all three.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the currents/tides on this river? I probably wouldn't go to CT river first time around but down to Coginchaug crossing.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The currents in the Connecticut really aren't anything to worry about for a kayaker. In the Middletown/Cromwell area, the tides tend to fluctuate by three to four feet, but that's over a seven to eight hour tidal cycle. The tides on the lower Housy tend to fluctuate by seven to nine feet, but, even then, the currents aren't too much for a kayaker to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with, PECo. I would also add that the currents are affected more by rain storms than tides.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
The currents in the Connecticut really aren't anything to worry about for a kayaker. In the Middletown/Cromwell area, the tides tend to fluctuate by three to four feet, but that's over a seven to eight hour tidal cycle. The tides on the lower Housy tend to fluctuate by seven to nine feet, but, even then, the currents aren't too much for a kayaker to handle.

Thx, good to know....was a bit worried for a min Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: