CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: High Pressure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: High Pressure Reply with quote

Member BucksAndDucks (Ryan) and I hit Mondo Ponds for no more than 2 hours after dark. Winds weren't brisk by that time. We stuck with moving around and jigging.

We started at the small pond, where depths only ranged from 4 to 6 feet. Ice and snow was a mix of about 1" of snow, followed by 1" of slush, 2.5" of white, and 2.5" of black. We worked the column with our Jigging Raps but not a single tap.

Later we went to an area of the main pond where member Jeff and I went last year. Snow, slush, and ice was about the same with areas that get fed by marshland runoff very thin. We were surprised to not get into anything when we were near thick weeds and small branches, which is the same spot where Jeff and I got into a few perch and pickerel last year.

It seamed like the morning arctic front and return of high pressure had the bite shut down. There's the old saying in ice fishing, "it's a February high pressure day".

As for the way the ice layer is, once we start getting rainy days, mild days, and stronger sun, it won't take too long for me to be out there with the Husky Jerk. Last year when Jeff and I hit the ice, the ice was a bit thicker and stronger and there wasn't as much snow. Plus, January 2014 was colder and drier than last month and December 2014 was wet and mild to begin the season.

Last edited by Michael on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe that's all the ice there! i have been on 7" plus just as close to shore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
Can't believe that's all the ice there! i have been on 7" plus just as close to shore

I think the big reason why both ponds never get much ice is due to springs. Another could be all the weeds the main pond holds year round.
Cd662

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jigged for an hour on Mondo today, breaking up other people's holes. I got a few panfish on a small jig. There was a healthy amount of ice on the main pond but there are springs and inlets/outlets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: