CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River Opening Up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: CT River Opening Up Reply with quote

The ice on the Connecticut River is finally breaking up and lots of shore openings are popping up from Middletown North. I tried my luck at a few spots yesterday hoping for a pre-spawn Pike bite, but no luck. Just 4 curious beaver who felt like getting in the way. Oh well, it was still nice to get out and wet a line on a 50º afternoon!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! about this time last year the NP were biting. Still a few more weeks out on them.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out again yesterday, a little further up river this time. No luck. Spring is here, come on warmth & sunshine!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ive been out for pike three times this year and ive had no luck. Strange, this time last year the pike were biting.
PZLTracker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on trying out this area if the weather is decent this weekend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CT River Opening Up Reply with quote

Last Sunday, I got out on the Connecticut from the Cromwell Outboard Association ramp down to the mouth of the Mattabesset, up the Mattabesset to the mouth of the Coginchaug and then back up the Connecticut to Gildersleeve Island. Although the shallow cove at Gildersleeve was still locked up with ice, everything else was wide open. Unfortunately, I didn't see any sign of a fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: CT River Opening Up Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Last Sunday, I got out on the Connecticut from the Cromwell Outboard Association ramp down to the mouth of the Mattabesset, up the Mattabesset to the mouth of the Coginchaug and then back up the Connecticut to Gildersleeve Island. Although the shallow cove at Gildersleeve was still locked up with ice, everything else was wide open. Unfortunately, I didn't see any sign of a fish.

I've been fishing the lower 1/4 mile of Mattabassett from shore for the past week, nothing yet. Good to hear it's ice free! Last weekend you couldn't get to the Coginchaug, there were a few ice blockages.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been after pike from shore for a few weeks now too. I've tried the mouth of Wethersfield Cove a few times, as well as under the Putnam Bridge at Keeney with no luck yet.

I recently bought a kayak and I've been anxious to get out in it, but most of my extended free time has been spent with Bill re-doing some things on his Jon boat. We've got less than a day's worth of work left after re-configuring the front deck, mounting the new 6hp engine, wiring a new Humminbird Helix and other general maintenance.

Our goal is to be fishing for pike opening day so we'll be back at it finishing up this coming Saturday afternoon.

So we're just left with one final decision to make...where are we gonna fish next Saturday? Decisions, decisions...

-Eric
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is opening day?

I don't understand, haven't you guys been fishing already? Why does opening day matter?

Or is fishing illegal prior to that day?
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
What is opening day?

I don't understand, haven't you guys been fishing already? Why does opening day matter?

Your best bet is to reference the Connecticut Anglers Guide: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/anglers_guide/anguide.pdf

To most people opening day basically means you can now legally fish for trout and keep them. Certain bodies of water are not fishable until opening day.

In my case, I've been fishing the Connecticut and Mattabassett Rivers for Pike since ice out. Both bodies of water are open to Pike fishing 365 days a year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:
What is opening day?

Your best bet is to reference the Connecticut Anglers Guide: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/anglers_guide/anguide.pdf

To most people opening day basically means you can now legally fish for trout and keep them. Certain bodies of water are not fishable until opening day.

In my case, I've been fishing the Connecticut and Mattabassett Rivers for Pike since ice out. Both bodies of water are open to Pike fishing 365 days a year.

Thanks, yea I kind of figured that about fishing season as I've noticed many of you guys fishing year round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: