CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: First Crappie Bite of the Year!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: First Crappie Bite of the Year! Reply with quote

Monday I headed out to Mondo Pond arriving at 3:10pm to find the main pond all open and the spring pond about 75% open. Forecast was calling for chance of an afternoon shower with winds getting gusty in the late afternoon associated with an approaching front and low pressure.

I started off with the helsinki shad HJ-6 in numerous spots and also tried throwing a number of other hard bodied lures but niente.

Later I get to the spot that has been producing. I get a swipe on the HJ-6 by a crappie. After trying a few more times without another hit, I switched over to a 2" Strike King Lightning Shad rigged weightless. Used it as a slow sinking twitchbait. That had crappie interested, and had a number of hits and landed 3.

Once I was no longer into the crappie there, I moved on hitting most other spots. Threw the Strike King, HJ-6, J-7, F-7, and XRP-7 but niente.

Winds started to get gusty, which lasted for no more than an hour before a passing downpour moved through. That had me hoping I was gonna get into an evening bite, so I headed right back over to the spot with the Strike King.

As the rain kept falling and winds were dying, I got into a crappie bite again. Rain stopped, clouds broke up, water was like glass, and landed another 4 crappie and 1 bluegill until a light drizzle started. Once the light drizzle had ended and skies were mostly clear, no more fish were interested.

Headed back to the bike at 7:37pm.

Crappie sizes ranged from a small 7" to a 10"er, with most in the 8 to 9" range. The bluegill was a chubby 7" male that pulled hard for his size.

Bird sightings this time included the osprey, a juvenile red tailed hawk, a pair of bald eagles, and a male mourning dove doing his quick glide in the shape of a cross for the females. Grackles were making a racket!
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First Crappie Bite of the Year! Reply with quote

Bald eagles?
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First Crappie Bite of the Year! Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Bald eagles?

Yep 2 soaring together. 2 bird watchers I've become familiar with there told me they've been seeing the same pair at Mondo and the Housy.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: First Crappie Bite of the Year! Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:
Bald eagles?

Yep 2 soaring together. 2 bird watchers I've become familiar with there told me they've been seeing the same pair at Mondo and the Housy.

That's awesome. I did a quick search and looks like those bird watchers posted reports online!

I've seen a few of these in the wild up in the Catskills.....so majestic.

I'm gonna get out there today to see if they are still around/do little fishing.

Might be time to break in the kayak too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: