CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Slow but Good
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Slow but Good Reply with quote

Arrived at Mondo at 1:10 Monday with beautiful spring conditions outside. Sky was mostly sunny, air was mild, and winds were a southerly flow that increased in the later afternoon. Forecast was calling for increasing clouds after sunset followed by a chance for showers overnight into Tuesday morning.

Started off at my usual first few stops at the main pond. One spot had bass following a silver shad JSR-4. Tried throwing a few HJ-6 but no fish were interested no matter what retrieve I did. Tried throwing a few topwaters but not a single swirl.

Later at the spring pond is where I landed a cookie cutter under a pound on a yellow perch FLR-8 by doing a slashbait retrieve.

Once I get to quieter areas of that pond that had floating dead algae, I see many bluegiils and bass with a few pickerel. Tried throwing a whole variety, but the only lure that had bass looking at and pickerel following and hitting was a 3" pumpkin green Zoom tube. Missed out on 2 pickerel and lost 1. Landed a 6.5" bluegill on the Strike King Lightning Shad where I was into the crappie last time.

Moved on to the main pond but the only thing happening was pickerel following and swiping the Zoom.

Later as sunset got closer, I went back to where all those bass and pickerel were and stuck with topwater. Played with a number of lures and found a pattern pickerel were looking for was slow walk the dog with plenty of rattle but not much commotion on the surface. 2 lures were Rebel Frog R and yellow perch XRP-7. Lost a pickerel on the XRP-7 and had a number of swirls and followers on both.

Once it was twilight, I decided to end the evening by switching back over to the silver shad JSR-4 and hitting spots at the main pond as I worked my way to the bike. The JSR-4 produced a cookie cutter under a pound, 9" crappie, chunky 7" pumpkinseed, 7" yellow, and 8.5" yellow. Lost a pickerel on it.

Hit the road around 7:50.

Water warmed up quite a bit and pickerel are starting to get into their spring stage.

Newest arrivals were black crowned night heron, green heron, and belted kingfisher. Mergansers, coots, and other diving birds, besides the cormorant, were gone, going to show the water has warmed up quite a bit since last time.

2 sounds I'm still waiting to listen for are eastern screech owl and barred owl.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow but Good Reply with quote

Weird, I was there for 6 hours on Saturday on a kayak.....around the entire pond.....water was VERY clear and I was able to see at least 4-5 feet down....and we didn't even see 1 fish the entire time.

Top water was a no go (had a frog behind my kayak entire time).....while I fished entire shoreline.

I did see few turtles hanging out on the branches......

Confused

It was a bit windy.....

Everyone I seen/ran into was getting skunked.
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow but Good Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Weird, I was there for 6 hours on Saturday on a kayak.....around the entire pond.....water was VERY clear and I was able to see at least 4-5 feet down....and we didn't even see 1 fish the entire time.

Top water was a no go (had a frog behind my kayak entire time).....while I fished entire shoreline.

I did see few turtles hanging out on the branches......

Confused

It was a bit windy.....

Everyone I seen/ran into was getting skunked.

the whole pond is 5 foot, THATS IT with exception of one spot. I have it mapped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: