CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: First time out in my new yak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: First time out in my new yak Reply with quote

I bought a Field & Stream Eagle Talon back in March and made my first trip with it this past Saturday at Mansfield Hollow.

The yak felt great; plenty of room for me, my backpack, an anchor and 3 rods. The wind was kind of pain to paddle into, but I got a good workout in getting to where I wanted to fish. Big difference in stability between the 12' sit on top Talon and the small sit inside kayak I borrowed last Fall. The Talon feels very stable. I didn't try standing up to fish, but I will once the water warms a bit, just in case I take a dive.

Bill and I were out at Mansfield the weekend before and saw a bunch of pike sunning themselves and bass beginning to get active, but we couldn't coax any of them into biting. I was hoping to find the same action on Saturday but, with the wind and colder water temps, that same spot was far less active.

I really like how slow I can fish with the yak, as compared to the constant boat movement caused by the on/off/on/off of the trolling motor.

I'm looking forward to getting out again soon enough, though yak fishing for me will be limited to the days when Bill isn't available with the Jon boat.

We'll be back on the water together in his boat this Sunday, probably at Upper Moodus, looking for some big female bucketmouths sitting shallow.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: