CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Husky Jerk & Topwater @ Mondo 5/20 **PIC ADDED**
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Husky Jerk & Topwater @ Mondo 5/20 **PIC ADDED** Reply with quote

Between the windy conditions and tides not being right for the honey hole, I headed out to Mondo Wednesday, arriving at 1:44. Even though a cold front had moved through Tuesday night, I had a feeling I was still bound to get into fish.

First stop produced a 10.5" crappie on a sunset tiger J-7 while doing a steady retrieve. Also lost a pickerel at the same spot on a glass minnow HJ-6.

When I got to the spot that was producing all the crappie last year, I also played topwater with a pearl grey shiner FLR-6, which resulted in a 9" crappie and a number of hits on top. Also landed a cookie cutter with a firetiger HJ-6.

As the day went on I also threw a bullfrog Rebel Frog R and Baby Torpedo as I also stuck with the firetiger HJ-6. The Heddon had pickerel going nuts as long as I gave it a lot of noise on the surface with jerking.

Hit the road around 8:50 after working on getting the Heddon out of brush that a fish took me into.

Total was a 9" yellow on the HJ-6 and 4 crappie, 8 cookie cutters, and over 10 pickerel on a combination of the firetiger HJ-6 and topwater, with most of the topwater fish coming on the Baby Torpedo. 2 other crappie were caught on different lures, with the biggest being the 10.5"er that was caught with the J-7. All pickerel were no bigger than a pound but fought hard for their size. Bass ranged from a small 6"er to a number of cookie cutters around 1 1/2 pounds measuring 14 and 15 inches.

The retrieve with the Baby Torpedo that had the bass and pickerel going was letting it sit after casting, give it 2 to 4 nice jerks with a 2 second pause between each jerk, and then 5 to 12 quick twitches on the surface before pausing for about 5 seconds. That also caught me a crappie.

14" 1 pound 6 ounce on Baby Torpedo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: