CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Are kayaks allowed at Mondo Pond in Milford?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CD32

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Are kayaks allowed at Mondo Pond in Milford? Reply with quote

I have fished Mondo Pond (the smaller one) twice so far and though it looks like a great little spot to land some good size bass, there aren't many places to stand and cast. Are you allowed to bring a kayak out there? If so, that should be a game changer for me.
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO....they are not allowed...sometimes people will sneak small boats in there but the police will be called by hikers & the people who live in the Condos near the pond. You can try it but it's just not worth the fine
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO....they are not allowed...sometimes people will sneak small boats in there but the police will be called by hikers & the people who live in the Condos near the pond. You can try it but it's just not worth the fine
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting this from Ladyfisher?

I've been kayaking at Mondo pond all yea (5+ times) without anyone complaining. I even ran into people that maintain the trails # of times with the Kayak and no one said anything.

As far as I know, they are allowed.....
AVec80X

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been myself, but I did find this online issued by the City of Milford.

Chapter 16, Parks & Recreation:

Sec. 16-5 Prohibited Activities.
It is unlawful and a violation of this article for any person to, within the boundaries of Mondo Ponds:
(a) Swim, wade, use boats of any kind or ice skate.
(b) Hunt, trap or camp or clean fish.
(c) Alter the natural topography, or alter, divert or block the natural or existing drainage patterns, or increase erosion.
(d) Light fires, wash or repair vehicles, park cars or repair cars or trailers or abandon any unauthorized property.
(e) Consume alcoholic beverages of any kind or to have an open alcoholic beverage container of any kind in his or her possession.
(f) Litter of any kind.
(g) Carry or discharge firearms or other dangerous weapons.
(h) Vend.
(i) Dispose or discharge of wastes or other substances into reservoir.
(j) Have a pet of any kind, leashed or unleashed (except seeing eye dog) on the property.
(k) Feed birds and wildlife, bring in coolers, etc.
(l) Remove, deface or injure trees, shrubs, flowers or other vegetation or structures on the property.
(m) Bring horses and/or horseback ride on the property.

AND

Sec. 16-6 Penalty.
Police officers may issue a citation for any violations of the provisions of this section. Persons receiving said citations shall be deemed to have committed an infraction and shall be fined $90.

I also found an article on Mondo Ponds that ends with "For further information please contact: Open Space and Natural Resource Agent, Steve Johnson, at (203) 878-7812 or stevenjohnson@ci.milford.ct.us"

Might be worth shooting him an email to cover your a$$?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I ever get caught I will just say "Kayak is not a boat".

Also, I've seen many people kayak Mondo pond over the years (I live couple of blocks away).
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hundreds of dogs walked in that place every single minute. The place and the rules are a joke.
i had the police email me the rules one time years ago because i was fishing and gas power remote boats where being used and they just about ran over my line.

ive used my kayak in there and will continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT....... WHY in the world bother with that place???????? i dont understand why you would go there with a kayak when you can hit milford res.

Mondo is sooooooooooooooooooo over fished and so shallow.
GO to milford res. Much less fishing pressure and has a lot more deeper holes

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same rules apply to Milford Res? Which is none?

Smile

I've been thinking about going there.....where is there a kayak access?

I know one of the ponds can be accessed thru law...
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
WHY in the world bother with that place???????? i dont understand why you would go there with a kayak when you can hit milford res.

Why would you kayak or fish ANYWHERE it's prohibited, when there are so many places it's not? That's just dumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Rookie wrote:
WHY in the world bother with that place???????? i dont understand why you would go there with a kayak when you can hit milford res.

Why would you kayak or fish ANYWHERE it's prohibited, when there are so many places it's not? That's just dumb.

some people dont like to go to places where there are bigger boats, even if there is good fishing in the no wake zones, because idiots dont follow those rules either Wink

there is no signs posted for no kayaks, boats or even dogs. If they put one up it gets removed pretty quick by more law breakers lol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my info from living in Milford & fishing the ponds for 50 yrs........When the city bought the land from the Water Co. Years ago , signs were put up with rules/regulations which people who like to ignore the rules promptly ripped down. The place is overfished & has become a garbage dump. It's nice to see some are catching some decent fish,,any Crappie caught were fish that were put there by an area boater who caught them from Lake Zoar & was attempting to stock the ponds.. If you choose to Kayak there ,good luck .,so far you have not been caught........just a matter of time......a question was asked & I answered it.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondo pond has been getting cleaned up by the bird watchers and walkers for past few years and is pretty clean. Occasionally yes, some fisherman leave garbage....I usually pick up whatever I see.

But the trails are pretty well maintained.

I've met people that maintain the area WITH my kayak and ON the kayak. Nobody has a problem with kayaks in the water.

Again, I went there at least 15-20 times this year! And have seen kayakers as well.
marchesejack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh gotta love mondo pond. I fish there all the time and it's gone down the tube the past few years but there are still some monsters.

Despite what the thread says, I take my kayak there all the time, for about the past 5 years, and I have not been approached once. I have even seen people take small motor boats in there, which is a bit much lol.

People bring kayaks and small rafts in there all the time, and no one has ever said anything to me, or anyone else I know. I have even unloaded my kayak in the school parking lot in front of a cop and we talked about fishing for about 20 minutes.

The fishing there is far better on a kayak than on shore, but the whole pond is just horribly over fished. I would hit the milford reservoir (right across the street from target). It's a pain to load your kayak in there, but the fishing is much better. Again, you won't do as well on shore as you will in a kayak. I have hit the ressie about 4 times this year and each time have caught 5+ fish. Maybe I will run into you over there Very Happy

As far as where you can launch, the fence has been taken down behind where the buffet used to be. It's only in one tiny opening, but after that it's a straight shot through a path of pine trees right to the water.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marchesejack wrote:
ahhh gotta love mondo pond. I fish there all the time and it's gone down the tube the past few years but there are still some monsters.

Despite what the thread says, I take my kayak there all the time, for about the past 5 years, and I have not been approached once. I have even seen people take small motor boats in there, which is a bit much lol.

People bring kayaks and small rafts in there all the time, and no one has ever said anything to me, or anyone else I know. I have even unloaded my kayak in the school parking lot in front of a cop and we talked about fishing for about 20 minutes.

The fishing there is far better on a kayak than on shore, but the whole pond is just horribly over fished. I would hit the milford reservoir (right across the street from target). It's a pain to load your kayak in there, but the fishing is much better. Again, you won't do as well on shore as you will in a kayak. I have hit the ressie about 4 times this year and each time have caught 5+ fish. Maybe I will run into you over there Very Happy

As far as where you can launch, the fence has been taken down behind where the buffet used to be. It's only in one tiny opening, but after that it's a straight shot through a path of pine trees right to the water.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try the Res out. Never fished there before, but I've seen people ice fishing etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: