CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Senko's Not Working Well
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFishingMedic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Senko's Not Working Well Reply with quote

So, I've been fishing 5 inch senko's all season either wacky or weightless Texas and have been having good luck IF I only wanted to catch super small fish. I'm averaging about 5-7 bass a trip and a few pickerel but all the bass have been 1-2lb or less.

Last year I was killing the bigger bass. So... what gives? To early?

I'm using 20lb florcarbon line with a host of different senko colors and hooks.

I've tried dropoffs, tree lines, rock beds, down trees everything and they don't seem to want to bite.

Using a lot of black with blue flake, watermelon with red flake, straight black, smoke, salmon color, green pumpkin.

H. E. L. P.

Should also mention that I'm finishing Bigelow, Mashapaug and Morey Pond. Might head out to Black Pond today in Ashford(?).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 8lb Flouro with a #2 circle hook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A five-inch Senko wacky-rigged with an O-ring on a Gamakatsu No. 4 Octopus Circle Hook almost always works for me. I really don't think that the line type is critical; I've used 50 pound braid, eight pound monofilament and four pound co-polymer. All worked fine. Normally, though, I use 15 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear co-polymer. It's stiff enough that I feel every nibble or bite and strong enough that I can pull it out of even thick lily pads.

I think that most people tend to fish wacky-rigged Senkos too fast. After the cast, let the Senko fall vertically to the bottom on slack line. If a fish were to hit it, you'd see your line move on the surface of the water. After the Senko hits the bottom, reel in the slack, give it a sharp twitch off of the bottom and let it fall back to the bottom. You should set the hook straight up when you see or feel any movement in your line. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I fished the upper cove of Keeney Cove in Glastonbury in the morning on Saturday and Beaver Pond in Meriden in the afternoon on Sunday. On both days, I caught at least 10 largemouth bass, most of which were keepers. I found that most of the fish were holding tight to cover. And I mean VERY TIGHT to cover. I had to cast my Senko right up against it. During the day, I look for any shade or shadows next to cover. Shallow cover immediately next to deeper water is best.

Strangely enough, there was also a very active topwater frog bite at Keeney Cove, right before noon, but I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with the frog at Beaver Pond.

Here are two from Keeney Cove, the best of which weighed three pounds, one ounce:

And here are four from Beaver Pond, the best of which weighed two pounds, four ounces:

Last edited by PECo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Mashapaug ALWAYS fishes tough. Check out this thread from the kayak fishing tournament we had there last month:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/kayak-fishing-tourney-lake-mashapaug-may-9-2015-t16835.html#.VXYbyI3bK00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Oh, and Mashapaug ALWAYS fishes tough. Check out this thread from the kayak fishing tournament we had there last month:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/kayak-fishing-tourney-lake-mashapaug-may-9-2015-t16835.html#.VXYbyI3bK00

Hey man - I live in Glastonbury I've been looking for spots to try out - I'm a newbie to this. I've got suggestions on some places in Manchester/Hebron/Bolton like Risley Res, Valley Falls, Holbrook.

Keeney Cove is something I haven't seen mentioned - but it's in my town so that'd be great if its so local! Just from googling it, I see there's some talk of shady people there? Is it people that fish or people that live down there? Anything to worry about?

Also, I have no kayak - I see your pics are you on the water - I can only fish from the land/shore - is Kenney cove good for this?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robromo1023 wrote:
Keeney Cove is something I haven't seen mentioned - but it's in my town so that'd be great if its so local! Just from googling it, I see there's some talk of shady people there? Is it people that fish or people that live down there? Anything to worry about?

Also, I have no kayak - I see your pics are you on the water - I can only fish from the land/shore - is Kenney cove good for this?

The only real shore access to Keeney Cove is from Point Road, but there are die-hards who make their way through the woods to some spots on the shore. The regulars on Point Road are a pretty eclectic, colorful bunch, but I've never had anything but good interactions with them. Most of them really like to fish, so we have that in common, at least.

I'm a big fan of kayak fishing. I own a decent-sized fishing boat, but still kayak often. There are so many terrific small waters in Connecticut. I suggest that you look into getting one. You'll do it sooner or later and sooner is better. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Senko's Not Working Well Reply with quote

TheFishingMedic wrote:
. I'm averaging about 5-7 bass a trip and a few pickerel but all the bass have been 1-2lb or less.

That's pretty darn good to average 5-7 bass a trip......not sure what you are complaining about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: