CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

Psyched to see this is finally finished! No more launching in Cromwell and paddling forever to get to the fishing grounds!

http://www.courant.com/community/middletown/hc-middletown-kayak-launch-0604-20150603-story.html

UPDATE: 6/8/15
I hit the new launch on Saturday and Sunday, tons of parking and a Port-o-let. Also, TONS of boat traffic,17 cars in the lot on Sunday and recreational paddlers in boats, yaks, canoes and some clueless ones floating on rafts with their feet in the water! (Pike bait!) My only gripe would be that the walk from the lot to the actual launch is a bit further than anticipated. There is a car turnaround down by the telephone pole, but for some reason they put the mafia blocks at the top of the hill. I think they could of put them lower and still block the boat trailers like they want to.

Anyway, excited to have a launch 3 miles from my doorstep!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

Nice

We are going to Wadsworth falls state park (hiking) and noticed its right on Coginchaug River. Is there any good shore fishing spots in that state park?
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
We are going to Wadsworth falls state park (hiking) and noticed its right on Coginchaug River. Is there any good shore fishing spots in that state park?

Yeah, but you don't go into the main lot. You go into the back parking lot by the actual falls off of Cherry Hill Road. If you walk the shoreline South of the falls there are some decent Bass in there. I'd strongly recommend bug spray and keep your eyes peeled for poison ivy & oak if you're allergic!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

I can always count on you for good info! Thanks man.

I don't see any trails on that side of the river (Wads fall side) but I'm guessing there is some unmarked trail along the river?
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:

I don't see any trails on that side of the river (Wads fall side) but I'm guessing there is some unmarked trail along the river?

Somewhat of a "fisherman's path", but this time of year it's pretty grown in so you may be bush whacking a bit. I've yet to go down there this Spring...and I drive by it on my way home from work daily Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Coginchaug/Mattabassett Launch - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:

Somewhat of a "fisherman's path", but this time of year it's pretty grown in so you may be bush whacking a bit. I've yet to go down there this Spring...and I drive by it on my way home from work daily Confused

I didn't bring my fishing rod on the hike, but the river was really small and I didn't see any fish.

I'm guessing there is some fish in the pond by the beach but not sure if it can be fished.

We headed down to CT river to do little fishing off the dock.......which was unsuccessful....
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy and I launched from the new launch yesterday at 145pm.
The water was murky as heck and the fishing was terrible. We both had one nibble a piece.
We went left out of the launch and paddled upstream for a long time and it was awful.

We then turned and floated downstream until we got to the confluence, which produced nothing.

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the launch or the river itself.

Hopefully it will be a better time next go around
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also disappointed with the sharp gravel used as the walkway
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pete! I was there on Sunday, too, with Dan1 (aka Dan) on his boat, but in the morning. We launched at the Cromwell Outboard Association and motored up the Mattabesset as far as the confluence with the Coginchaug. Bites were hard to come by even in the rain during the morning. I ended up boating one small northern pike with a Pumpkin 3/8 ounce Terminator jig with Paca Craw trailer and one largemouth bass with a chatterbait with a Keitech paddletail swimbait trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
A buddy and I launched from the new launch yesterday at 145pm.
The water was murky as heck and the fishing was terrible. We both had one nibble a piece.
We went left out of the launch and paddled upstream for a long time and it was awful.

We then turned and floated downstream until we got to the confluence, which produced nothing.

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the launch or the river itself.

Hopefully it will be a better time next go around

I never fish the Coginchaug, I just use the launch for easy access to the Mattabassett. The confluence of the 2 rivers and the floating meadows area just North of there have always been solid fishing spots for me. No lunkers, but it produces bass, pike and bowfin often. This was at the confluence last weekend...

I agree that the trap they used at the launch is pretty large, but I'm just happy to have a spot so close to my house no matter what the condition. I was disappointed to see they removed the Port-O-Let from the launch parking lot. I was just mentioning to Alan (Mase2020) that it might be a good launching spot for the next kayak tourney as we could fish the Coginchaug, Mattabassett and CT Rivers. Scrap that now that there are no "facilities" Mad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Phil!
Glad you were able to pull a few in!
@AVec..the launch definitely makes it much easier to access the confluence from that area!! I look forward to hitting it up again. My friend and I wasted a lot of time on the Coginchaug due to the fact we were new to the river. Next time, I am heading right out of the new launch and focus on the confluence.

On the bright side, I forced myself to stand in my Native Slayer and was able to do so with no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: