CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Post your rigged up Kayak Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Post your rigged up Kayak Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been done before, seen it done on another forum.

Post your rigged up Kayak.

Here is my Father/Son yak (or Hubby/Wife Smile ).

I convert it to 1 seater when I go alone. So far it has been great. I don't miss the days of offshore fishing at all!

I made a custom crate and custom swiveling rod holders as well. I also had to modify my kart (not pictured).

It's not totally rigged up in the picture. I also have Camera mounts, custom center console and 2 sun umbrellas for sunshade. Smile

ChaoSki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Post your rigged up Kayak Reply with quote

This place seems like View only!

Come on fellas, next time you get out there take your pics!
AVec80X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a $350 cheapie Future Beach Trophy 126. "Rigged up" for me is a net clipped to the front of my yak and 2 rods in the built in holders. I'm a minimalist, I keep 1 Plano box and a small tackle bag of plastics in the cockpit. If I'm headed out for an all day adventure or one of the kayak tournaments, I'll bring along a 3 liter hydration pack, some snacks and my bump board. I've since replaced that cheap camo PFD with a better quality Cabela's vest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man! I like the yak! and especially the price!

I have a fold able net, but I find myself never using it. Just mouth grips and needle pliers do the trick.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Looks good man! I like the yak! and especially the price!

I have a fold able net, but I find myself never using it. Just mouth grips and needle pliers do the trick.

Technically, mine is a trout net, but it works just fine for any fish. I've netted a 10 lb catfish with it no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down to only three kayaks, now: a Future Beach Trophy 126 like AVec80X, but in the more stylish orange color Laughing , an inflatable Hobie Mirage i9s and El Habañero, which is a Hurricane Santee 116 Sport. I built a console for the front El Habañero that has two Scotty rod holders and a watertight box:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of bought the orange Trophy 126 in a heartbeat, much more visible to boaters! Sadly green and grey were the only options. My girlfriend is an artist, she wants to paint the whole top of my yak, so it may be all colorful in the near future Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good PECO.

I haven't had issues with boats at all so far. Actually most boaters and jetski folks have been really nice (they slow down etc).

If I did have issues, first thing I would do is mount a high orange flag on the back (many Yak Fisherman seem to be doing that).
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Looking good PECO.

I haven't had issues with boats at all so far. Actually most boaters and jetski folks have been really nice (they slow down etc).

If I did have issues, first thing I would do is mount a high orange flag on the back (many Yak Fisherman seem to be doing that).

I'm in a green yak with a green vest on, so I try to always wear an obnoxious colored shirt so I stand out. It's 50/50 for me. I always have bass boats buzz by on Salmon River/Salmon Cove with total disregard for me being only 50 yards away. I've given plenty of 1 finger salutes this year! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
ChaoSki wrote:
Looking good PECO.

I'm in a green yak with a green vest on, so I try to always wear an obnoxious colored shirt so I stand out. It's 50/50 for me. I always have bass boats buzz by on Salmon River/Salmon Cove with total disregard for me being only 50 yards away. I've given plenty of 1 finger salutes this year! Evil or Very Mad

I had opposite experience at Salmon but I also had a kid up front Smile

Get a dummy kid or bring your blow up doll

Razz
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to not make holes in my kayak if I can avoid it,....
The first pic is my fish finder mounted on some wood that plugs into my Hobie sail mast hole with a wooden dowel. The wires are just fed up through the front hatch seal.

The rest of my outfitting is really all done with my crate. It has numerous rod holder PVC tubes mounting on it with zip ties.

The crate is made from two file folder crates from staples,...I like these over milk crates mainly because they are big enough to accommodate the large sized plano boxes. I also prefer making rod-floaties out of polyethylene pipe insulation, rather than using leashes which just get tangled and are more aggravation than they are worth!

I fish salt water and capsizing is a real concern,..so the top of my carte is made up of the bottom of a second crate which I sawed off and then attached with zip ties to make a functional hinge. Do yourself a favor and make this with as many zip ties as you can fit. Wink

in order to make an easy access holder for the things I use the most, I have zip-tied a rubbermade Tupperware container on top of the crate and tethered the lid with a piece of parachute cord.

I am fairly proud to have come up with this latch made of stainless steel screws and a piece of polyvinyl tubing. The main features are that it is completely salt-water proof and can be opened/closed easily with one hand!!

Finally, I have attached a couple of small diameter PVC tubes with zip-ties to hold my cart while I am on the water.

As far as zip-ties go,..they are NOT all the same,..the cheapo ones will degrade in sunlight and you wil be constantly replacing them,..it is much better to spend a few bucks more and get some quality zip ties from Home Depot etc.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass tracker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: fishing kayaks Reply with quote

Looks like some really nice rigs you guys have! I am looking to purchase a kayak but would like some advise from people who have them. I want something easy to carry, easy to transport on the top of my SUV luggage racks, easy to fish out of, and most importantly is not easy to flip over. I have fished out of my canoe which rides higher out of the water, and is easy to tip, but it is fiberglass and kinda heavy. Any advise as to what size and make / model would be appreciated.

Bt
AVec80X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go the inexpensive/entry level route for lakes and ponds, the Future Beach Trophy 126 is great. 10' 6" long, 30" wide and stable as all hell. It's a sit in style, which next to nobody uses, but I enjoy it. They're $350-400 new, but you can find them on Craigslist for $200-250 used from time to time. Yes, it's a little on the heavier side and has limited space for tackle in the cockpit, but I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and make it work. Best of luck in your yak search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: