CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Phil, were u at Keeney this morning?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Phil, were u at Keeney this morning? Reply with quote

If you were, how'd u do? I was heading back to point rd. around 10:30 or so and I exchanged a wave with someone whom I later thought may have been you. The orange on the yak made me think of you.

I was out from 5-10:30 or so on my yak and started off getting lit up right away on my Sammy 100. I paddled clockwise around the portion of the cove north of rt. 3 and had decent luck with Sammy and a Bucher Slopmaster spinnerbait. All largemouth, the largest weighing 3.5lbs., with a couple others around 3.0. I was hoping for pike, like I always am, but no luck. No teeth for me yet this year; not even a pickerel. I've been doing well with largemouth though.

Hope u had a nice day if it was you.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric

Yeap, that was I. The other kayaker you saw in the upper cove was Dan1 (aka Dan). I actually did get a pike to my boat with a Scum Frog Bigfoot, but it spit the frog after I put my Hawg Trough across my cockpit and reached down to grab it. It was probably only 30 inches long, but it really, REALLY wanted that frog. It missed it three times, before it finally got it. I ended up boating seven largemouth bass up to only 2-1/2 pounds or so. Dan got eight and two chain pickerel.

My Senko setup was messed up all day. After I got home, I took apart the reel and re-greased the bearings. Of course, I had to go test it out, so I went to paddle one of the ponds at Nod Brook. And of course, it was closed for a dog trial, so I went to Spring Pond, instead. Among other bass, I got a three pound, six ouncer. Unfortunately, the next fish broke me off and I'm sure that it was a HUGE bass. I should have re-tied after I boated the three pounder, so that was my fault.

The next time I think I see you, I'll paddle over and say, "Hi!"

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I'm a little jealous of your pike, to be honest. I've been throwing Sammy, a 7" fin-s fish rigged weed less, the slopmaster and a Johnson silver minnow the last few times I've been there, with nothing but largemouth to show for it. I think I may sub in a horny toad tied to a 50lb mono leader and put the silver minnow away for a bit, after reading your post.

That place is close to home and its a short paddle from the launch to the hot spots.

I'll be on the lookout for you guys again and look forward to saying hello.

FYI, for all those reading this...if you are looking for a BIG bass spinnerbait, get a Bucher Slopmaster. I bought it for pike and haven't caught one yet with it, but bass CRUSH it! No spinnerbait is completely weedless, and it's expensive, but it's absolutely the best spinnerbait I've ever used.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTHING can cut through fresh hair weed (aka witch's pubes). I was really disappointed in the vast amounts of hair weed AND algae slime covering everything in the cove.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Keeney is a real mess with weeds and slime right now. I was planning to hit Mansfield instead but I got lazy Saturday morning and just stayed close. I was afraid of driving to Mansfield and finding that place covered in weeds as well.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Tuesday 06/30 Reply with quote

NWDarkCloud (Bob) and I went looking for northern pike and black bass in the Connecticut River out of Haddam Meadows, yesterday. Within five minutes and 50 feet of the launch, Bob boated a 29 inch pike with a buzzbait:

Yeap, he was absolutely thrilled about it. Laughing

I ended up catching a short smallmouth bass and a keeper three pound, 14 ounce largemouth bass in the channel leading to Hadlyme Cove:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work guys. The Haddam Meadows seems to be the pike spot. I'm off next week so maybe I'll try it. Is it advisable to fish there in a yak?

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river is super shallow just upriver from the ramp. A kayak would be perfect for the flats at low tide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: