CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: first time out at the mouth of the river
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: first time out at the mouth of the river Reply with quote

I'm going out Sat. for my first try at the mouth of the CT river. I'm a little nervous due to the fact I'm going to be alone. I bought the kayak a few weeks ago and have been out on the local lake 3 times.

Am I worried about nothing?

How strong are the tides? Will I be paddling forever? lol I have an anchor so I hope it all works out.

My plan is to snag a bunker and live line it while chunking fresh bunker on the other pole.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of kayak are you in/on?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: KAYAK Reply with quote

It's a sit on top ocean kayak 8.5 feet. Seems stable for calm water.

thanks for the reply.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: KAYAK Reply with quote

WILD BILL wrote:
It's a sit on top ocean kayak 8.5 feet. Seems stable for calm water.

thanks for the reply.

Personally, I'd be nervous in an 8.5', that's really small. Taking the weekend boat traffic and wind into consideration, it's probably going to be pretty hairy down there tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna find out. If it's really hairy I'll bail. But I'm going to try. I'll stay close to shore and not venture too far from the launch point.

I'll be super disappointed if I flip.
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I went and had a good time fishing. My anchor worked well and I didn't get thrown around too much. (except when the DEEP guy came right by to check my fishing license. lol

I did sit in three inches of water for two and a half hours. Once I put the anchor out, the rear of the kayak sat lower and my butt was soaked.

I saw a lot of bunker. But all small pods and very scattered. I was able to snag one and live lined him for an hour. No luck catching anything but it was a learning experience for sure.

For the most part I'll stick to lakes and ponds, but will be trying there again sometime.

thanks for the heads up.
patvh5150

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: First time Reply with quote

Wild Bill I hope to venture out on my first sound fishing adventure with my 13.2 foot kayak this weekend.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to rain on your parade wild Bill,...but an 8.5 foot yak is just tiny for anything except calm water.
Also,..anchoring in strong current is a recipe for disaster......And that is not even taking into consideration the strength and power of what you might hook into while live lining bunker,...please don't do that anymore. The current alone ican be enough to sink any sized yak, let alone something as tiny as yours!!
Plain and simple, you got lucky this time around!

Just drift without the anchor,...you'll be much better off if/when you hook into a decent sized striper or blue. Also the drift fishing is what all the "sharpies" do in order to cover water and load the boat!!
Wink
ct kayak angler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: I fish the mouth often Reply with quote

It gets rough real quick there i use to fish it with my 10-6 yak but hadto manyclose calls alot of big boat trafficthat stacks the waves
ct kayak angler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a ocean kayak trident 13 for down there thefishing is great been cathing some keeper fluke in Jordan cove and in niantic marina plus the occasional keeper stripper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: