CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Babcock Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Babcock Pond Reply with quote

I met up with Alan (Mase2020) at Babcock Pond at 6am today for some bass yaking. Surprisingly, someone else was already on the water. The place is usually a ghost town. We launched and headed over to hit the Eastern shoreline with some frogs. After a solid 30 minutes we hadn't had a single hit...or even ripple on the surface of the pads...so we headed through the tunnel under Rt. 16 to the topside pond. I retired the frog and started throwing a Texas Rigged Yum Dinger and Alan was tossing a swim jig. I ended up hooking into a fish right near the tunnel in the large pads. The fish was pretty hung up in the growth...to the point that I was towing myself to it as I reeled. I ended up side by side with my line and managed to net the fish...what turned out to be a 3.06 lb Largemouth (on Alan's new fancy Rapala digital scale Very Happy)

I think the 2 of us were shocked to see a 19" fish on the end of the line. No idea how this guy didn't throw the hook while the line was hung up in the pads?!? I was pretty convinced it was a Pickerel when it first hit.

After another 30 minutes or so we headed back through the tunnel and fished the Eastern shore for 3/4 of the length of Babcock. I landed a few small bass and a pickerel and Alan was still battling the skunk. He drove 50 minutes to come fish with me, I kept emphasizing to him I felt bad he wasn't catching anything. Alan was getting some little hits close to the shoreline and continued to work the spot. He ended up landing a 12"ish Largemouth on a Texas Rigged worm. After that we fished for another 2 hours with a few hits here and there and no fish landed. No complaints from me! I had the day off and even if I didn't catch a thing, it was great to be in the yak and fishing. Alan's company was icing on the cake, always great to have a fishing buddy (I even talked to him Phil!) Thanks for making the drive down! Good times!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up fishing Lower Moodus for 2.5 hours after Babcock. 1 little dink Largemouth and lots of reckless, obnoxious jet skiers! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan1 (aka Dan) and I fished Spring Pond, this morning. We each caught some largemouth bass with wacky-rigged Senkos. And, yes, I wasted at least an hour throwing a Zoom Horny Toad without even a hint of interest from any fish. Dan caught seven and I caught six, although I got the 17 inch, two pound, 10 ounce lunker. I also caught a black crappie and snagged up a tiny chain pickerel. But Dan had the best action of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFpNC_OMZP0

It took him about eight minutes to boat the carp, which weighed 16 pounds:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit Mattabassett for 4 hours yesterday morning. It was overcast and raining on and off so I figured the top water bite would be hot. I was dead wrong! Only 1 bass! I lost something sizable mid-morning. It had my medium heavy rod bent nearly in half and was giving my drag a workout. I'm assuming it was Pike or Bowfin, but I never got it to the surface. Got hung up in the weeds and spit the hook Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out on Babcock again for 3.5 hours mid-day yesterday. I pushed deep into the back of the pond in hopes of pulling a sizeable fish out of the pads. The top water frog bite was on fire, but 90% of the time it was a Pickerel on the end of the line...I lost count at 13 Evil or Very Mad Ended up with 3 Bass, the 2.4 lb below was the lunker of the day. Not the pig I was looking for, but it was a fun day of fishing none the less!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

I think I'm going to hit that place up/put it on the list! I love fishing with the frog, it's just different and more exciting. I haven't had much luck with it but I just keep trying.

Nice carp and Bass.

Summer is def here, fishing is getting slow. But like one of you said, just getting out into nature and being on the yak/water is nice......and no fish is to be expected. Fishing would be no fun if you ALWAYS caught something/it was guaranteed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: