CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: harkness or megs point
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: harkness or megs point Reply with quote

Going out tomorrow for porgys and sea bass. Was thinking either Harkness state park or megs point at Hammonassett.

Harkness has a long walk from the parking area to the shore. I don't think I want to carry the yak all that way. There's a road to the east of the park which looks closer to the shore. Has anybody parked there before?

should be very calm seas and I'm pumped to catch fish.
WILD BILL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a beautiful day on the water. I got out there at Meg's point around 7:30 am.
I moved around starting about a 1/2 mile off shore and caught some really big sea robins. I was using calms and the yak setup was working great.

Around 11:30 I was 1/4 off shore and 1 1/2 miles from my launch point. I hooked up with a double sea robin catch. Yuck. After removing the fish from the hook I looked down and noticed my paddle was gone. I had gotten the tether wrapped up on my pole holder and removed it temporarily to un-knot it. unfortunately I forgot to reattach it. Hard lesson for sure.

I hand paddled to the shore but was a far way from my vehicle. I had to carry all my gear back to the vehicle then go back for the yak.

#1 lesson: You can hand paddle back to shore.
#2 always tether your stuff.
RobO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a tough lesson learned. Glad you made it back alright.

Well at least you didn't get skunked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Thanks. It was a hard lesson for sure. lol

It was fun catching something. I'll try again next weekend. I'm going to duck island.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to carry a pair of webbed paddle gloves. Easy to stow and good if you lose a paddle. We used to wear them paddling fastwater. Lots easier to eskimo roll and hand paddle if you lost your paddle.

https://www.darkfingloves.com/

http://www.onlinescuba.com/Body-Glove-Power-Paddle-Tipless-Webbed-Gloves-P3580.aspx?gclid=CMv32tq08cYCFU-CfgodRCIDYQ
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: