CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: GATOR!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: GATOR!!!! Reply with quote

Friday afternoon I headed down to the honey hole and Fayerweather Island, arriving around 3:30. Skies were partly cloudy, winds were a steady 5 to 10 south, gusts were as high as 15 or so, and air was nice. Low tide wasn't until 7:07 and moon was new.

I started off out on Fayerweather due to tide not being low enough for the honey hole. Never got into anything out there.

Then I walked back to shore and tried fishing by the beach, but the south winds were causing lots of strong waves and current.

Hung around on shore for a while and then headed back out with a member from the site, named Dan, who was out there the day I got into that Skitter Pop bluefish bite.

We eventually were able to get out to the honey hole. South winds were causing the water to not be good for the Skitter Pop, so I stuck mostly with an orange gold orange XRW-13. Walk-the-dog and pencil popping were the 2 retrieves.

Once we got out to the spot, I right away smelled that freshly cut cucumber smell. First cast out is when I get some weeds stuck on the lure. When I start reeling it in fast, BAM!!!! This fish was running with my 10 lb braid! I start to reel in some line but it went flying right back out! Get it right near me when I see a gator blue jump! Get it to shore and landed a 32" 11 pound gator blue!

Throughout the rest of the evening, as for bluefish, I only got 4 other explosions.

Once it was right near sunset, the bluefish turned off and aggressive schoolies got thick and active.

Pencil popping with the XRW-13 landed me 8 schoolies up to 26". Some of them even jumped once or twice! One fish I lost during the schoolie bite seemed to be a smart keeper. Huge explosion followed by lots of stiffness and then line peeling. Then the fish starts giving me slack. I reel in the slack and feel it still on. Once it started running again I lost it.

Hit the road around 8:45

jarhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: nice gator Reply with quote

Congrats Mike. Sweet fish.
Zaxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a catch! Nice job!
madkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mike!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish and report Mike.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: