CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: First trip to Hopeville this weekend
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: First trip to Hopeville this weekend Reply with quote

I can't even catch a cold at Mansfield so I'm going to try Hopeville this Saturday morning instead.

Just curious what the weeds/pads are like there, so I bring the right stuff. Is the milfoil thick and laying over on itself? Esox Cobra jig heads with a mag lizard or reaper get through that thick stuff amazingly well for a jig head with an exposed hook. Do you paddle North or South from the boat launch? Thanks.

- Eric
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional question. How would I get to the "falls" that I've read about? Just put the yak in the water at the Hopeville boat launch and paddle toward Pachaug Pond? Does the damn/falls separate Hopeville from Pachaug? Thanks again.

-Eric
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go early and you should be able to dodge the $9 (plus tax now!) parking fee. The "Falls" are a solid 30-45 minute paddle South.

The kayak tournament was there last month and I found the best Bass fishing was South of the overpass...which is about 1/2 mile South from the launch. If you're after Pike, paddle all the way down to the falls. I've found they tend to linger in that general area ±200 yards. I can't speak to punching through mats & Milfoil there, I rarely fish jigs.

Good luck.

Last edited by AVec80X on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vecca...we need to get together and catch up. This is Weiman.

-Eric
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imsafanct wrote:
Vecca...we need to get together and catch up. This is Weiman.

-Eric

Oh man, if I had known I would of said go far North and only throw crankbaits! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I put in at the Hopeville launch, it seems it's a 2 mile + paddle down to the falls. I'd rather fish than paddle. Are there any good pike spots closer to the Hopeville launch?

I'm thinking of fishing the following lures: a LIVETARGET hollow frog, a Bucher Slopmaster spinnerbait, a 5-6" soft paddle tail swimbait on a 1/2 oz. exposed hook jig head, a Zoom mag lizard on a 1/2 oz. Esox Cobra exposed hook jig head, a 7" Slug-Go, a Johnson Silver Minnow, a Mag Force Rat-L-Trap and maybe a J-Mac 5/8 oz. skirted jig. Anyone have any different suggestions? Has anyone caught pike on walk the dog style topwater lures like Spooks or Sammys?

I REALLY want to break out the big stuff but I think it's still a little early in the year for Bulldawgs, Cowgirls, Jakes or Hell Hounds, and maybe too weedy for Suicks. Go BIG or go home! Twisted Evil

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading north (i.e., downriver) from the boat launch ramp, the small cove that's next to Hopeville Road and just past the beach always holds largemouth bass and sometimes holds northern pike. Otherwise, the entire shoreline directly across from the campground is lined with fish-holding laydowns. If it's a sunny day, drag a Texas-rigged creature bait right down the deepest part of the channel, next to the campground. The bottom is covered with fish-holding weed.

Last edited by PECo on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
imsafanct

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made it down to Hopeville this morning and got skunked. As the police officer said to me at Cumberland Farms at 4:30 AM this morning, "today should be a great day on the water." Oh, it was beautiful alright...maybe if I was a pleasure boater. No wind, no clouds, and nice warm weather = no fish.

I started out in front of the boat launch and then worked my way South down to the first bridge, mostly working the deeper pockets, working a 5" Keitech on a 1/2 oz. swimbait jig head carefully through the milfoil. I also threw a spinnerbait and a jig, but no luck. Neat place. Didn't blow me away, but I may try again in colder weather.

-Eric
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. This has been The Year of the Really, REALLY Slow Bite for me, so far. I've gotten some with topwater lures, jigs and chatterbaits, but most with a much slower presentation. Now that I think about it, I haven't gotten a spinnerbait fish, yet, this year. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I'm in the same boat. It just seems slow this year.

I've only had a handful of good days so far this year, and I've been out as much as I can be. My first two trips to Mashapaug in May were decent with the tube and drop shot, Bill and I had a fun morning above King's Island with topwater smallies and I've had a couple good trips to Keeney with the Slopmaster and Sammy in June. But I've been in a serious funk since the beginning of July. Keeney seems to have died this month.

My largest fish this year was a 4 lb. largemouth taken in the evening at Keeney on the Slopmaster.

This year, however, I've been chasing pike at Keeney and Mansfield mostly, as opposed to throwing bass stuff like Senkos, which I caught a ton of bass with last year. Maybe that's been my problem.

-Eric
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove down to Hopeville to scout for campsites....brought the rods but didn't have time to fish.

Another confirmation on slow year for fishing.

Quite opposite for Carp fishing I must say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: