CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Does size REALLY matter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Does size REALLY matter? Reply with quote

After missing the famed ice-out pike bite, bass fishing in May and June and getting skunked repeatedly at Mansfield, I have officially removed the pike skunk from my back. No, it's not a monster, but the catch has given me a sense of calm. I have my first pike in the boat (yak) for 2015. I landed this guy and a keeper largemouth at Keeney this morning, in addition to losing another small pike and two pickerel, all more or less at the boat. 5 fish in an hour's worth of fishing before work...I'll take that thank you very much! All were caught on the perch/brass Bucher Slopmaster. Now I need some big girls!

Small fish with big teeth!

-Eric
jarhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: teeth Reply with quote

nice catch.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what happened to all the weeds, Eric?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I normally fish the North portion of the cove where I saw you that day. Last week, however, I was paddling back to the car making one last cast(s) to the Eastern shore of the section between Point Rd. and the Rt. 3 bridge. I got lit up by something big as soon as the blades starting spinning. I didn't hook the fish, but I figured I'd start fishing that center section a bit more after that. I caught this pike in the center section, near where the channel begins to head into the tunnel. I took the photos facing West.

The water was a bit higher than normal that morning due to the heavy rain we had that one day last week, so less weeds laying over on top.

-Eric
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch.

Size doesn't really matter, you were shooting for Pike and you got it.

I had a goal to catch pike this year as well and was able to fulfill it as well. Caught 4 in total actually (all around CT).

Going Pike fishing this weekend too!

I still don't see even a big pike or any other fresh water fish putting up a fight that I'm used to, which is Carp. I've mostly been Carp fishing and any other fish is just a child's play in comparison. Still fun though, I enjoy it!
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'll ever target carp specifically but, man, those guys are big! They sound like anvils landing in the water. They scare the crap out of me when it's still dark early in the morning and I'm still half asleep and they launch out of the water belly flop style 5 feet away from my yak! I suppose I'm in for a real treat if I ever foul hook one of those giants.

-Eric
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carp fishing is the best (but that's just me). I know many US fisherman don't agree with me and preference is with LMB etc.

I find it way more peaceful and less work intensive as well. Which allows me to enjoy nature as well. Hook > Corn > weight > chum and wait......prepare for a hard fight.

Check out my sons recent Trophy size catch.
http://www.ctfishtalk.com/trophy-size-carp-lake-zoar-t17116.html#.VdMomJes9lE

In Europe, it's serious. Check out this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Ow8QJOcgY
imsafanct

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I redeemed myself last night. I hit Kenney from shore last night for 30 mins in between work and a doctor's appt., just as the wind started picking up. I was finally able to catch and land the pike that has been wacking at my spinnerbait for the past week. 27". Very cool.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: