CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Mondo Pond in Milford any good for Largemouth Bass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CD32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Mondo Pond in Milford any good for Largemouth Bass? Reply with quote

Anyone know if Mondo Pond in Milford is any good for Largemouth Bass fishing? Have heard a couple things on it but I also heard people have been going there and taking out the fish they catch. Some guy on an earlier post said he caught a 9 pounder out of there. Not sure if I believe that but a few people who commented said there have been quite a few 5-6 pounders caught in there. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my user pic is a 6lb quite a few years ago

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my reports!
CD32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rookie that pic is of you at Mondo Pond? Thats a nice looking bass in that pic btw. @Michael based off of all your posts it seems you are at this place quite frequently. Are both ponds just as good for bass/pickerel or would you say one is better than the other? I wont try it out for myself till about mid May when the weather is significantly warmer and I'm done with school but based off your reports and the type of tackle I like to use I've got a good feeling about this place.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you are more bound to get into a number of pickerel at the main pond vs the small pond while the small pond holds a better chance at setting the hook on a nice largemouth, esp when the conditions are right on a calm morning in May, June, and July.

The main pond gets very weedy in the middle of the summer while the smaller pond is more natural spring and marsh with cooler water temps.
CD32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Michael so the main pond is better for pickerel and the small pond is better for bass, got it. I'm more of a largemouth guy at heart but I'd have no problem hooking into a few pickerel. How deep is the water in both ponds do you think? And is it only shoreline fishing or can you bring a kayak/canoe out there? Sorry if I seem like I'm getting a bit nosey. I'm trying to find some new spots close to Orange where I live because the place me and my friends fished all last summer we found out towards the end of summer is private, 2 guys who claimed to live on the lake said it was private property and that they'd call the cops on us if they saw us again, which really sucks because we pulled a lot of decent sized bass out of there on a consistent basis. Biggest one I pulled out was probably a mid/low 3 pounder and my buddy pulled out one that was at least 5 maybe even a 6 pounder. I did end up finding another little pond thats a little closer to my house but its mostly just sunnies and smaller largemouth but one time when my buddy was with me there he said he saw one that looked like it could've been a high 3 or 4+ pounder so I'll definitely be giving that place a shot again.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you one of those serious bass fisherman who considers bass 1 to 3 pounds a joke while he'd rather throw a jig and soft plastics to get at least 1 4+ pounder?

The main pond holds plenty of 1 to 3 pound bass while the smaller pond holds a better chance of getting into a pig. The main pond has a higher chance of setting the hook on a fish though.

The smaller pond is no deeper than 10 feet in a few areas while I've heard the main pond can reach depths of up to 20 feet. I've seen guys on their kayaks and canoes on the main pond.
CD32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Michael nah I'm not that hardcore. If I go out on the water and hook a few bass, even if they are tiny, then the day is a success. Some bass is better than no bass for me. I'd also have no problem hooking into a few pickerel either, they're fun to catch to. However when I do head out on the water I always try to hit those spots that look like they have the potential of holding a few pigs in there. I fished Lake Okeechobee in Florida this past monday and before that the biggest bass I ever landed was a 6.5 pounder I caught in Pennsylvania (I caught a 9.25 pound bass when I fished Okeechobee).
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD32 wrote:
I fished Lake Okeechobee in Florida this past monday and before that the biggest bass I ever landed was a 6.5 pounder I caught in Pennsylvania (I caught a 9.25 pound bass when I fished Okeechobee).

Catching a pig down South is much easier and more common than up here. Up here you'd be lucky to land something 4+ vs down South.

I always like to concentrate mostly on the main pond depending on the time of year. The main pond gets you into plenty of fish and is an excellent topwater place. Another fun thing about the main pond is once water temps get warm enough and weeds haven't grown much yet, throw any jerkbait, twitchbait, slashbait, etc and do an aggressive jerking retrieve, which will get the chain pickerel to go nuts.

Now it's time for you to do the homework at the 2 ponds.
CD32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I've compiled a list of places I want to try this summer aside from Mondo, all relatively close to Orange. Seeing as Mondo is probably the closest to where I live outside of Maltby (never caught anything there) that'll probably be one of the first spots I try once I'm done with school in mid May.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small pond is next to impossible to fish outside of 1 or 2 small spots....which are high risk lure hang up spots.

I will let you know how it goes fishing on the kayak....will be taking it to small pond this year.
Bassbum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Catching a pig down South is much easier and more common than up here. Up here you'd be lucky to land something 4+ vs down South.

I beg to differ.......plenty of big fish to be had up this way

Location is everything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: