CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Looking for help fishing Mansfield Hollow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Looking for help fishing Mansfield Hollow Reply with quote

I made my first trip to Mansfield Hollow this year, back in early April. We fished the boat launch side and spotted a few decent pike spawning and a number of bass waking up from Winter. We didn't catch anything that first day but it was encouraging to see fish regardless.

But now I'm frustrated with the place because I have been back three subsequent times, with nothing to show for it. I tried once more in late April and I tried two more times this past week as I had some time off from work. I guess I wouldn't care too much if I didn't think the place is so cool. I really like Mansfield Hollow; I just can't seem to find fish there.

That said, I have really only been fishing pike stuff there. I've been throwing larger spinnerbaits mostly; not senkos, frogs, jigs, topwater or bass stuff. Maybe I should try a more bass-centric approach.

Anyone have any tips they care to share? Thanks.

-Eric
AVec80X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really speak to Pike fishing there, but I know Bass fishing can be just as tough. One of the CT Kayak Club tournaments was there last Spring and out of the 18 or so people that showed up I believe 7 got skunked...and we were on the water for 8 hours.

A bullet weighted swim bait has always worked well for me there (Zoom Swimmin' Super Flukes are my go to). I would definitely try throwing Senkos and top water frogs too. This time of year Mansfield is extremely weedy, fish the edges of the weeds/pads and you're bound to land something.

Good luck, have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in any waters with northern pike, the largemouth bass hold extremely tight to any cover. Go to the northwest corner where the Fenton River flows into the hollow through the big culvert. Toss a wacky-rigged Senko into the mouth of the culvert against the walls. Also, look for shade underneath any cover. There used to be a stump in the northeast corner that held a school of small keeper bass, but there would be a larger one in there from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I was looking for pike advice! I should have been more specific. I just need to keep going.

I'm gonna try throwing a soft topwater fog next time I go and see if that works. I also need to try a Johnson Silver Minnow along the edges, a paddle tail on a larger jig head like Vecca suggested, a large Rat-L-Trap and some heavier skirted jigs with large trailers. With the exception of the frog, I can cast the rest of these lures into some of the deeper water and then work them back along deeper weeds or edges.

I've got some Lunker City Shakers and Big Hammer swimbait tails en route to me as I type this. I'll be itching to try them out for sure.

-Eric
Shankel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told the pike are in there in the begining of the year, but by the fall the are fished out. Just what I was told by being frustrated looking for them. I have yet to land a northern pike there. If you have any luck let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: