CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Best Topwater in a While Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Best Topwater in a While Reply with quote

Wednesday I got a head start after sleeping a lot Tuesday evening into the night. Arrived at a private lake around 10am.

I covered all the accessible areas to the lake twice. Took a late afternoon lunch break too.

I had a topwater bite going on wherever there was those floating green seeds in deeper waters or coves near shore. First lure was a Snag Proof weedless mouse, but was having trouble setting the hook with it after 4 explosions. Later I switched to a Baby Torpedo and varied the retrieve.

Hit the road around 7:30 once I lost the Baby Torpedo.

Total was 8 largemouths up to 15.5" perfect 2 pounds. Most others were just under a pound while 2 were around 1 1/2 pounds. Also landed 2 bluegills on a HJ-6 with 1 being a chunky 7.5" fish. Topped the evening with an acrobatic 18" 1 pound 10 ounce pickerel.

Sad part about the day was while heading back to the bike through the woods, the tip of my 5'6" ML rod broke. I bought it in 2012 for $27.99 free shipping and have always been amazed at the action and strength of the rod for the price. Model was an Eagle Claw Powerlight. It went through tons of heavy duty pressure and landed me tons of fish, including plenty of largemouths over 3 pounds, tons of decent pickerel, slab crappie, my PB 14 ounce yellow perch, tons of trout, and my recent PB 3 pound smallmouth. No other signs of damage were ever done to it.
Bassbum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the rod.......but maybe it's about time you switched
it up to something with a faster tip and more back bone

a 5'6" MIL rod doesn't have the power to drive the hooks home
while frog or mouse fishing

a medium or medium heavy rod about 6'6" is a little more versatile
for bass applications

best of luck with your future replacement

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassbum wrote:
a medium or medium heavy rod about 6'6" is a little more versatile
for bass applications

That's when you're talking a serious angler who calls a 2 pound bass a trash fish and rather quickly get the bigger ones in instead of having a good fight with them. And somebody who'd call the rod I had trash (if they never tested it) and always buy top names.

Landed a 19" 6 pound 1 ounce largemouth with this rod 2 years ago. Manged it through weeds and set the hook on it. Also landed a 22" 3 pound 6 ounce chain pickerel with the same rod. Have always been able to lift plenty of bass up to 3 pounds out of the water with the rod. Was able to carefully flip a live 6" bluegill with the rod. Rod is rated 1/16 to 3/8 and have had no trouble casting a 1/2 ounce topwater. The rod casted so well with 6 pound mono.

Smart shopping avid angler with Google skills is what it takes.
Bassbum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha..........as an accomplished angler that has fished for almost every species that swims, I was just trying to help.....not willing to play therapist

happy fishing!!

D~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You write good reports but are very rude with your replies.

Good call Bassbum.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed a 19" 6 pound 1 ounce largemouth

Seriously Michael 19" 6 Pound 1 Ounce! He must of been sucking the lead off the bottom. Or you need to invest in a better scale! Not trying to be sarcastic but seriously!!!!!

I target large fish all the time. I've caught many 5/6 pound bass in my years. I fish for Stripers in the winter and the big girls in the spring. I use 7' 6" $100 rods and have maybe broken one to my own negligence. A little more quality and a little more money will save you more money over time. Also you would not wear the fish down if you stopped playing with him for 20 minutes. The faster he's out and back in the water makes a big difference in their mortality rate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Landed a 19" 6 pound 1 ounce largemouth

Seriously Michael 19" 6 Pound 1 Ounce! He must of been sucking the lead off the bottom. Or you need to invest in a better scale! Not trying to be sarcastic but seriously!!!!!

I target large fish all the time. I've caught many 5/6 pound bass in my years. I fish for Stripers in the winter and the big girls in the spring. I use 7' 6" $100 rods and have maybe broken one to my own negligence. A little more quality and a little more money will save you more money over time. Also you would not wear the fish down if you stopped playing with him for 20 minutes. The faster he's out and back in the water makes a big difference in their mortality rate.

Look at a report I put up back in July or August 2013 and you'll see the fish and the setup I was using. The rod was absolutely amazing for the price.

As for tiring out the fish, I don't intentionally try to have fun fighting the fish. From my experience landing bigger fish and where and when I'm fishing, I make sure I bring the right setup. I also make sure I don't let the fish just run.

One other thing to go with the rod is I only use ML 5'6" freshwater rods while bank fishing smaller lakes, rivers, and ponds and places that have lots of trees and brush along the shore. If I were to be fishing more top end places and lots of open space, I'd bring my 6 footer with 8 or 10 pound mono on a bigger reel.

If I had the money for a car, to go with the gas and insurance, I'd be able to go to places that have a high chance of getting into bigger fish often, which means I wouldn't bother with lighter setups and fishing places I usually fish. That also includes going to the Cape with my 8 footer and 30 pound braid instead of a 7 footer with 10 pound braid.

As for fish size, I prefer to have fun with the more aggressive young stripers ranging from 24" to 36" with 10 to 15 pound braid. I love how they fight for their size vs the big ones taking long runs before pulling them in. I'm into aggression and thrill in many ways, including fishing (bluefish, young stripers, river smallies, slab crappie, chain pickerel, river redbreasts, 2+ pound rainbows, etc).

And remember, I'm an avid angler who doesn't even mind catching lots of cookie cutters in 1 day and loves catching chain pickerel vs the higher end anglers.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael! Look at your first post with fish size and weight and compare it to you recent post of 19" 6.1 Lb!

There is a cast difference.

I'm sorry

I just done concur!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 19" 6.01 lb largemouth is genetically impossible.......let's just let it go

so, according to Mike, high end anglers only enjoy catching bigger fish

they should hand meds out when you sign up here , I'm tapping out of this thread Cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Michael! Look at your first post with fish size and weight and compare it to you recent post of 19" 6.1 Lb!

There is a cast difference.

I'm sorry

I just done concur!

First post I ever put up?

I need to make sure you looked at the report of that fish by you posting the link on this thread. Girth can make a big difference in a fish of the same length. Personal best largemouth is 8 pounds 1 ounce and measured 22 inches long but had a girth of 20"!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassbum wrote:
they should hand meds out when you sign up here

Gotta have the right insurance, otherwise it's cash out of pocket Laughing
Bassbum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Personal best largemouth is 8 pounds 1 ounce and measured 22 inches long but had a girth of 20"!

got any pics? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassbum wrote:
Michael wrote:

Personal best largemouth is 8 pounds 1 ounce and measured 22 inches long but had a girth of 20"!

got any pics? Laughing

22" long x 20" girth

Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the 8lb. Next time show it on a scale. 6 maybe but thats pushing it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed........time for a new scale......and it doesn't have to be high end

Smart shopping avid angler with Google skills is what it takes Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: