CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Stratford Shoal/Middle Ground
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripper Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Stratford Shoal/Middle Ground Reply with quote

After skunking for about the last 5 weeks no matter where l go I put a full tank of gas in and decided to take a ride. Launched out of West Haven around 9:30am and took a quick ride to the Q bridge to look for bunker where they were still non existent. Ran down to Milford and found them all the way in by the footbridge and the launch where they have been the last few weeks. Had lines down at Middle Ground right around noon for the turnover of slack. Bunker chunks were destroyed by crabs all day but squid produced a few quality porgies and also outfished the gulp! Sandworms all day (sorry Bobby J). Total was low maybe probably about 15 porgies 2 of which were 2+lbs 1 dinker fluke and 4 or 5 sea robins. Tried the break walls in New Haven on the trip back and found a few more small robins and porgies. Off the water around 4:30 just hoping things pick up for the bluefish tourney this weekend!
clinteastwood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Island Sound sure ain't what is used to be. Back in the 70's when I was a kid the blueclaw crabs were everywhere, Blues and Striped Bass, blackfish, porgies, bunker everywhere. We used to catch Mackeral all over by jigging tiny colored tubes. Just drop them down and drift and jig. I never remember going home without a pile of fish and lots of bait for next time. Ahhh those were the days. Skunk was not a word used on LIS.
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ain't kiddin Hunter. Worse year in awhile for me. No fish on those bunker in Milford. Gulf beach was packed last wknd on the new moon fri night. Did not see a single fish. Charters are doing porgie and bottom fishing still. My buddy went out of Niantic on a private charter and they even bottom fished. That's how bad it is.
Stripper Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes two of us Lunker I haven't seen fish under the bait in weeks since the bunker all pushed out of New Haven towards the end of July and even the peanut bunker are still visible in small scattered pods but don't seem to be getting pushed at all either. I have noticed the same thing with a lot of the charters it seems like the only people stirring up any fish lately are all up towards the CT river area. I am going to be down towards Milford Thursday and Friday to stock up on bait I will let you know if there is anything promising
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are big blues at the mouth of the CT River. We will also be fishing the tourney.
Good luck and be safe. Baits Motel Bait Shop in Woodbridge is holding a tourney Sept 12 also.
Stripper Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished the bluefish tournament this weekend. Saturday we launched out of Guilford and tried Madison Reef, Kimberly Reef, the back side of Faulkners Island, 6Mile Reef, the mouth of the CT river and Long Sand Shoal.. Only had on school of blues come through all day which was on Long Sand Shoal. In total 2 blues spit the hook boatside, one snapped a line, and the only one we managed to put on board was about 10.5lbs. My brother DID try the Lindy glove and instantly the blue latched on to his thumb(much to my delight). According to him he felt a good amount of pressure but the glove held up and it didn't break through. Sunday we launched West Haven around 1:30am and ran Charles Island, Buoy 18 and tried the wreck out behind Charles. A couple monster sea robins off Buoy 18 but that was it for the day. Tried the Middle Breakwall and under the Q Bridge on the way in with no luck. Anyone do well this weekend?
Stripper Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lunker I heard Baits Motel cancelled their tourney any idea if that's accurate?
LUNKERBASSERFISHING

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here , milford, west haven was dead. Ton of bait only thing swimming. Site said noboby entered the tourny Baits Motel. Too bad, I go there and Mike a good Guy. My buddy managed a 11 lb Brandford, that was about it.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues all but deserted the mouth of the CT this past weekend, and action was scarce from Race Point east to Weekapaug. TONS of bait in the east though, so hopefully some fish will follow. Already massive albie blitzes in Eastern RI to Mass. Hope they don't bypass us like 2 years ago. There are still some big bass chewing if you can run to Block. I've got 2 long weekends coming up, and will be debating salt or salmon fishing.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently at Seaside and saw very thick dark schools of silversides. The only fish that have been chasing the bait are sea robins and fluke.

2 guys I know that I ran into that day told me they've seen and caught smaller blues no bigger than 6 pounds, with most being 2 to 4, start blitzing on the small bait before popping up somewhere else nearby. Lures have been a combo of spoons and 3 to 5 inch topwaters.

A few people have told me the action has been good by Penfield Reef and Westport.

No signs of 6 to 12 inch snappers yet.
Stripper Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys at Baits seem like real good guys I went up there for the first time the other day I didn't realize it's some of the same guys that had the shop on the beach in West Haven some years back. Just seems like a strange area for a bait shop out in the flats. Michael there are 6-12 inch snappers EVERYWHERE along the West Haven beaches right now if you can make your way up there they are hammering them on small spoons and deadly dicks not even 10-15 yards off the beach. I was planning on driving up and launching the CT River Saturday out of Old Saybrook but I have never used that launch before and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or anything specific to know about that area? Redneck I am always around to make a run somewhere any idea how far/rough of a ride I would be looking at for the Block run? Also never caught an Albie before so that would be a great one to cross off the list!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a car to get to West Haven. West Haven has always been the 1 place in western LIS along the CT shore to show first signs of many fish before they move farther west.

If you enjoy snapper fishing, the 1 lure that can out-fish everything else is the Rapala Husky Jerk HJ-6 in certain colors. I out-fish everybody else at Seaside with those lures. The special retrieve is constant jerking like a walk-the-dog retrieve. The lure stays right in the strike zone and perfectly imitates a silverside and other 2 to 3" baitfish.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of bait in the mouth of the CT. Baldwin is probably the nicest launch in the state due to the size of the facility. Lots of dock space. The blues had been in the mouth in good numbers, but moved out. They could well be back in this weekend. I've never run my skiff to Block, though ANdy at FFIII goes all the time in his Carolina. It's all about the wind and weather. I run up to Point Judith. If you know you're going to have consistent weather and light winds, it's easy. However, this time of year it begins getting iffy because the wind shifts around and starts to pick up. I've been pounded coming back from Montauk in a 27' CC on a day where it was glassy on the run out. Block itself is only about 12 miles due south of the RI coast. I'm hoping to fish tomorrow night/Sat and Monday. I want some bones and albies!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: