CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Any success with kayak fishing near Bridgeport today?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Any success with kayak fishing near Bridgeport today? Reply with quote

I am planing to go tomorrow
madkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should check out the housey. there are a ton of schoolies and lots of places you can drop a yak in from derby down to stratford
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@madkey,
What type of lures and fishing rod/reel setup do you recommend for schoolie fishing?

I have always wanted to yakfish the housy, but don't have a clue what to bring with me.

thanks,
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
@madkey,
What type of lures and fishing rod/reel setup do you recommend for schoolie fishing?

I have always wanted to yakfish the housy, but don't have a clue what to bring with me.

thanks,

Rod would be something between 7 and 8 feet. MH freshwater rods are perfect. Line anywhere from 10 to 15 pound test is perfect.

This time of year is when you'd want to bottom bounce a 4" Fin-S or Sluggo with a jighead between 1/2 and 1 ounce. Retrieve would be similar to using a suspending jerkbait, where you'd give the lure a number of steady bounces before pausing for a few seconds.

Schoolie stripers are fun on lighter tackle like explained above, and are more aggressive and wild for their size vs the big cows.
madkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastie, i use 6'6" medium ugly sticks 6-15lb. i sometimes use 1\2oz but 1/4 and 3/8 most of the time with 4" zoom super flukes. if you have a FF on your yak look for fish on or very close to the bottom. if you don't have electronics just look for boats and what they are doing.trolling small umbrella rigs like mine is very effective also. Alabama rigs work well too but require a heavier set up.
I fish the schoolies all through the winter.when spring starts to roll in the action moves up in the water column and you get lighter and lighter baits until you're throwing unweighted slugos. thats alot of fun!
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: