CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: GONNA BE A WHILE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave N.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: GONNA BE A WHILE Reply with quote

Yuuuup, not lookin good for we ice anglers. I anticipate AT LEAST another month before we can even think about ice making weather. Oh well, winterized the ocean boat, keepin' the lake boat handy in the meantime. Nice weather to jig up some panfish or chase a walleye or two. However, I wouldn't be mad if santa brought me a polar vortex for xmas Laughing
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter is looking like 1 of those where the only places that will be ice safe are larger lakes way upstate and smaller ponds no farther south than areas like Ridgefield, Monroe, Seymour, Meriden, etc.

Places such as Candlewood will have ice but not safe.

Most bodies of water near the shoreline, such as Mondo Pond, Beardsley Park (Bunnell's Pond closed), Lake Mohegan (currently closed), etc will be open water.

Forecast has been calling for the area to not got into a colder, winter-like pattern until mid to late January. Can't believe how warm it'll be this weekend!
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post comes around every year with the same topic where everyone gives their opinion. As long as I've been ice fishing in this state, I've sat on ice every year, several times per year. At the start of every December, we get that beautiful unpredictable warm weather that gives everyone the scare.. is our winter even going to come this year? Right around when the new year hits is usually when the real ice gets made. If the ice comes early, then we've got a long ice season to fish! If it comes late, then we've got more time to fish all the recently lowered lakes and explore the structure to scout for different seasons. We even get some great fishing on rivers with trout from their activity due to this warm weather. You've gotta be optimistic when it comes to fishing and just make the best of what mother nature provides us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree NEF. Some people enjoy ice fishing so much they get overly concerned. Some others, such as you and me, enjoy ice fishing but can also live with warm wet winter weather, which makes trout fishing and river fishing great and throwing jerkbaits and soft plastics in smaller lakes and ponds enjoyable.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
This post comes around every year with the same topic where everyone gives their opinion. As long as I've been ice fishing in this state, I've sat on ice every year, several times per year. At the start of every December, we get that beautiful unpredictable warm weather that gives everyone the scare.. is our winter even going to come this year? Right around when the new year hits is usually when the real ice gets made. If the ice comes early, then we've got a long ice season to fish! If it comes late, then we've got more time to fish all the recently lowered lakes and explore the structure to scout for different seasons. We even get some great fishing on rivers with trout from their activity due to this warm weather. You've gotta be optimistic when it comes to fishing and just make the best of what mother nature provides us.

Yep, smart man Thumbs Up
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Years Day I was at Twin Brooks Park for a short while and saw no ice. These past few cold days and nights have caused edges of a local brook to freeze up.

Haven't gone fishing since New Years Day due to work and the freezing cold and windy weather, so I'm checking to see if anybody has noticed changes in water temps and any ice on lakes and ponds.

Sikorsky Airport recorded their warmest average December temp on record, beating the previous record by more than 5 degrees. All 3 airports in the NYC area had not just their warmest December on record, but for the first time never recorded a temp under 32 for the month of December.

Supposed to warm up and get wet this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: