CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: New Kayak consideration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: New Kayak consideration Reply with quote

The emotion stealth 11 kayak is on sale at cabelas. I'm thinking about buying but I have a few questions if anyone has this kayak or can weigh in please do. I'll be using it in small ponds and lakes for bass fishing, in mostly calm water outside of the traditional waves from boat traffic and windy days.

How much if any water do the scupper holes allow into the kayak, especially the two right behind the seat?

If this is an issue how well do scupper plugs work on this or any sit on top kayak?

Do the rod holders that hold rods vertically behind the seat interfere with casting at all?

Again any input is greatly appreciated.
Emich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello

I have been using since November on the lakes near Waterbury this model:
http://futurebeach.com/en/cayman-124f.html

For me the most important feature is the weight of the kayak. It is a hassle for a single person to bring it in and out of the water, to lift it on the roof of the car, etc.
I bought recently smaller kayak for lake fishing because is lighter (it is cheaper too $230) I didn't have a chance to try it yet. For lakes without big waves you don't need extra stability.

http://futurebeach.com/en/products/kayaks/sit-on-top-kayaks/eclipse-102.html

I don't know why they don't manufacture lighter versions of the same models with less carrying capacity? If you look closer all three models (the two I am mentioning and the one you are planning to buy) have carrying capacity of 300 Lb. but their weight is different: 59, 47 and 39 Lb.
I have a thoughts building my own fiberglass kayak 12' and no more than 40Lb.

The adjustable rod holder up front for trolling is too far and I never use it.
Instead I am using the two flush-mounted rod holders in back.

Let me know if you have other questions.
I'll be happy to answer.

Regards
Emich
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

Holes don't usually allow too much water, but I like to plug mine regarldess.

As for back rod holders, I recommend keeping the rods in the front (rod holders etc). I also recommend putting in PVC piping into existing rod holders in the back and extending them. For # of reasons, a) to prevent flooding the holes with water and b) to be able to extend and also mount a hook/latch to the rod for trolling (so your rod won't be pulled off).

In general #2 is not a concern for you, as when you decide to fish you take out the rod on the side of the hand you fish with....
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much water splashes up through the scuppers on that particular kayak, but scupper plugs work fine; you just pull them out if you need to drain any water.

To echo what Emich said, don't underestimate the importance of weight in whichever kayak you choose. The easier a kayak is to transport, the more often it gets used. Seriously, those 15 extra pounds really DO make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all of your input
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up making the purchase thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately I won't be frequenting this site as much as I once did because I've moved to delaware but will miss the info. Anyone know of any other good sights like this that will provide solid information
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm a bit late to weigh in. I have this yak. Great for the uses you described. It's not a big water boat. Easy to transport and add accessories to. I'm 260, and with my fat butt and gear, the seat itself stays dry.

Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: