CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Zoar is killing me....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Lake Zoar is killing me.... Reply with quote

3 times this year and skunked each time.

Twice we tried carp......nothing.

Yesterday was the first time we fished with deadbait for Pike and Walleye....NOTHING.

Clearly I need to work harder and invest more time. Up next, taking the kayaks to deeper water.....

We didn't even get hits on smaller gear from yellows/bass or even sunnies......It was a windy day yesterday.
fishville

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've ever had luck at Zoar is when the water is rising. Once after I got caught in a thunderstorm and usually when they stop generating power for the day.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When things get really tough, I tie on a drop shot with a 2-1/2 or 3 inch Gulp! Minnow.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoar is always tough except in early spring or late fall. You have to flip jigs into the toughest lay downs. If your not getting snagged your not gonna catch fish. Like Peco said fish Gulp Minnows in "Deep Water." Don't be afraid to go deeper than 30 FOW. Zoar is one place you need to match the hatch. Alwives and Craw Fish. Pike in Zoar aren't common although some really big ones have been taken. If you want to target Pike fish Lillinhona. Good kayaking water out of Pond Brook Cove. If you can head up the Shepaug River.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, and I'm talking 40 plus years ago my father took me to Zoar all the time. We trolled as slow as we could go with a live shiner hooked through the nose. When a fish grabbed it you let go of the line for a minute or two and then reeled them in. We always came home with our limit back in those days but that's the only way I remember fishing that lake. Trolled the shore line all day long.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fellas, the luck has turned our way.

last week at Zoar we have pulled 4 Trophy Carp (each one of us pulled 20lbs + , me and 3 of my sons). Had a blast, in total over 15+ fish.

Smile

From what I found over the years, Zoar is good for one thing and one thing only. Monster Carp.

I will let you know if I have luck with other species this week. We will be using live bait and dead bait. I spoke with few DEEP peeps and they tell me it was stocked with walleye.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back this week, pulled in my personal best carp. 36inch and 28 pounds!

Smile
bjo16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup back in the day soar was really decent . Probably early and mid 90s maybe late 90s. Trolling the shoreline was the ticket. We just used shad raps and stuff and always got a decent amount of smallies
thepoor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, back in the 90s gas was $1.00/gallon and milk was cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: