CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: New to Ct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dleopoldi914

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: New to Ct Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to CT. I currently live in Norwalk. I asked around at my local bait shop here. I was told that two good places to visit to fish are: Sherwood island in Westport and penfield reef in Fairfield.

I need to buy a rod and reel. The guy in the store suggested the sportfisher surf rod and shimano bait runner. Kind of expensive.

I look and found used a 9 foot FIN NOR FIN-NOR SPORTFISHER 2 PC SURF ROD COMBO & FS80 SPINNING REEL for $119. Is this a good deal?

What would I use to fish from these spots. I was told cut up Mackarel. Any suggestions?

Last year I went on Helcat for blues and made a killing. Also went on middlebank for fluke and was a nice experience.

Let me know what you think.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael fishes all over that area. You should hit him up for a local trip. That setup will more than handle anything in the LIS. As far as price, Cabelas sells an FS80 combo for around $200. That may be a good deal, but it depends on the condition of the reel. It can be nice and clean on the outside and crap on the inside. The 80 is going to be fine for chunking, but a bit of a beast to cast lures all day. Best advice I can give is just get out and fish (you'll end up buying more crap anyway). Tight Lines.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
dleopoldi914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messaged Michael. Would be great to have a local show me the ropes. I wound up getting a 9 foot penn fierce II combo for 80 bucks. Threw 300 yards of 30lb braid on it. I went to bass pro shop got a 25 dollar gift card and 10% discount got a kastmaster xl, diamond jig, a tsunami 5 inch popper and a regular kasmaster.

I am aware right now bass dont hit.....actions starts back up at end of august? Is that correct?

Anyone fish calf pasture?

Might just go on the middlebank for some fluke for now. Eventually i will probbaly need waders going to go to ll bean outlet and get a pair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: