CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Penfield - Couple of Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Penfield - Couple of Questions Reply with quote

I haven't been to Penfield since Sandy. Any major erosion, or other dangers to look out for?

I've never actually been to the end either (too chicken), but I have had decent fishing on the flood tide mid-way out or so. Does it start to drop off significantly towards the end? I'll have to make it out there during the day sometime to try it out.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner half is flatter and wider with more shallow sandy flats close to shore. Outer areas have holes and ridges and the Reef itself is wider.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The depth of water, or heigh of the reef varies approximately 1-1.5 feet as you walk out. Most important thing to be aware of , other than the time of the tide is how far below or above mean low water that day's tide is. On a weak tide when mean low is +1.2', you have much less time to get in after the water starts to rise than when low for the day is -1.2'. Take it slow and familiarize yourself with the structure and tides and currents . Wind can push water pretty well too. The last leg coming in there gets covered before the higher "dry land" you may be standing on midway out. With the wrong wind and a fast tide, even shin deep water can be pretty powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic. I know historically people like to fish an hour before and after high tide. I hear the reef is completely covered during high tide? So does that mean you fish this an hour before and after low tide and get the outgoing.

I haven't surfcasted since I was a child, occasionally I get out on a party boat or two but I am new to Norwalk area and want to give this a try.

Also, Is this type of the year no good? I was planning to get out this weekend and next weekend, and maybe start back up at the end of August. If I remember correct surfcasting for blues/stripers at this time is not the best.

What bait is ideal here? Chunked bunker or would you go with some artificial bait.

Thank you and please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: