CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake 07/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Winchester Lake 07/26 Reply with quote

Ahhh, that's waaay more better!

After yesterday's defeat and humiliation at Spring Pond, I just had to fish a larger, deeper lake, so TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and I headed up to WInchester Lake. We were on the water from about 8:30 am to about 4:30 pm. There was a slight breeze all day. In the main body of the lake, it blew from the north early in the morning, but blew from the south for the rest of the day. In the southwest cove, it was calm. In the northwest cove, it blew from the west. The air temperature was cool, ranging from the low 60s to the mid 70s, but almost immediately after we launched, the sun began to beat down on us. The water temperature ranged wildly all over the lake, from 71.5 to 76.5 degrees, and it was clear down at least six feet.

Kira wanted to fish shallow and I wanted to fish deep, but I decided to let her have her way. She had fished at Winchester before, but had never really gone further than the center of the main body of the lake.

We headed into the southwest cove, where we were out of the north wind. While Kira banged the shore with a Stanley Top Toad and a wacky-rigged five-inch Senko, I fished toward the center of the cove with a five-inch crawfish jig. As I hopped it along the bottom through some weeds, the weeds began pulling back:

It weighed only 1-1/2 pounds, but it was a keeper. Whoo hoo!

The bite was slow as we fished our way around the cove. After we finished circling it, we started the big motor and headed for the north end. Now, although I had planned to NOT throw a wacky-rigged Senko, I really had no choice, because we were fishing around the shallow shoreline. I caught some dinks and another small keeper with it, before Kira boated a dink with it, too:

Just when I was about to give up on banging the shore with a Senko, I got a solid hit and immediately told Kira that I'd need the net:

Finally, a solid three pound, two ouncer. Whoo hoo!

We tried fishing deeper for a while, but catching fish, even dinks, beats not catching fish, so we headed back to the shallows. We ended up boating at least a couple of dozen largemouth bass and one dink chain pickerel. Although we caught only three keepers and our three-fish bag would have been only about six pounds, I'll take that over defeat and humiliation every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Phil. We're actually living up in Winsted now. Took my yak out to Winchester at the beginning of July, caught a real beauty there. Been to Colebrook River lake a few times as well, plus all the other numerous spots to fish. it's a great area to live in that's for sure.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, John! Now that you're in Winsted, we'll have to fish your local lakes. If you haven't paddled West Branch Reservoir (aka Hogsback), yet, let's go! I'd love to get out there, again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we haven't taken the yaks out on Hogback yet. Just done some shore fishing there. We've been out on Park, Winchester, Colebrook River, plus a little secret place our landlord told us about lol. Still have to hit Stillwater, Minntetto, Woodcreek, Wets hill. Really good to be around so much water. We're doing some much needed work on our boat to. Sent you a pm the other day to. We'll be in touch dude for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: