CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Baldwin Bridge 11/01
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Baldwin Bridge 11/01 Reply with quote

This won't be much of a report, because I found NOTHING at the mouth of the Connecticut River, this morning. I launched at 7:15 am and got off the water at 11:30 am. According to the thermometer in my Jeep, the air temperature ranged from 38 to 45 degrees. There was a slight breeze out of the north up to five miles per hour. High tide hit Saybrook Jetty at 8:56 am. The water temperature ranged from 52 to 56 degrees. There was a lot of debris in the water, including logs. The water looked like coffee with cream. Visibility was six inches, at best.

I was on the water when the sun rose at 7:21 am:

It looked like it would be a beautiful day, except that there weren't any birds in the air.

When I was out in the sound to the west, I finally spotted a flock of seagulls diving to the surface, but when I got there, I saw that they were only harassing a flock of cormorants. All of the birds dispersed as soon as I pulled up on them.

When I was upriver at the channel marker at the top of the No Wake Zone, a Coast Guard ship that looked like it was equipped to haul buoys passed me, heading upriver:

After I crossed the river to the west side of the channel, another Coast Guard buoy hauler went by and threw up a wake so big that I almost fell down on the deck.

During the 4-1/4 hours I was on the water, I checked the eastern flats, the mouth of the Black Hall River to the east, the beach to the west of Saybrook Point, the mouth of North Cove, the west flats, between the Route 95 and railroad bridges and up to the big channel marker just upriver from the No Wake Zone in front of the Baldwin Bridge Boat Launch ramp.

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Plus, I got chilled to the bone. I'm just not ready for cold weather fishing, yet. It's days like today that really make me look forward to heading down to Florida in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, I'll find some fish before I leave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the really nice picture of the sunrise, and for the report of your morning. A beautiful sunrise for sure, glad you caught it.

I think you're the only one fishing and posting anymore; I read nearly all of them, by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: