CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 03/30
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 03/30 Reply with quote

Today, rmflint (aka Ryan) and I fished the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant canal from 11:00 am to 4:45 pm. Although there was a small chance of rain in the weather forecast, as well as some actual light rain, the conditions were quite nice for most of the time we were on the water:

Ryan started by throwing a jerkbait, while I threw a White two-inch Yum Grub on an Arkie 1/8 ounce ball jighead. He got the first bite, but lost what looked like a small keeper largemouth bass when he went to lift it into the boat. After that, however, I caught everything, starting with a yellow perch:

A small northern pike:

A small chain pickerel:

A short largemouth bass:

And, finally, a black crappie:

I also caught a bunch more yellow perch, largemouth bass and black crappie, all with the little grub jig.

Meanwhile, in addition to the jerkbait, Ryan tried throwing a lipless crankbait and a spinnerbait. It wasn’t until he finally broke down and switched to a grub jig that he began catching some yellow perch and largemouth bass, too:

We ended up with more than a dozen yellow perch, the one northern pike, two chain pickerel, eight black crappie and 10 largemouth bass, including five little keepers that were each under 13-1/2 inches long. My best fish of the day ended up being a fat, 14-inch long yellow perch:

The bite is definitely picking up, along with the water temperature. I saw a surface water temperature of 47 degrees and Ryan got spooged by a horny male yellow perch that he snag hooked near the ventral fins, so the yellow perch spawn might finally be on. I might have one last chance to check on the white perch spawn, before I head out of town, again. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys had a pretty good day, all in all, for an early season outing.
That has got to be the largest yellow perch I've ever seen!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Cranky wrote:
That has got to be the largest yellow perch I've ever seen.

That’ll be tough to beat, but it’s not even considered trophy-sized in Connecticut. Several years ago, I saw a boat from New York in the canal during the yellow perch spawn. The two fishermen on the boat said they came there specifically for the spawn. We were all catching them, but one of those fishermen pulled up a 16-1/2 inch female that was swollen with eggs. I’ve been looking for one like that ever since.

Unfortunately, I’ll probably miss the yellow perch AND the white perch spawn, this year. I just got to Arizona and won’t be home for the first half of the month. On the plus side, I’m in Arizona. Tight lines, everybody!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: