CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Hamburg Cove 03/29
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Hamburg Cove 03/29 Reply with quote

I’ve been traveling so much, lately, that I hadn’t even caught my first Connecticut largemouth bass of the year! I decided to kill two birds with one stone by checking for white perch and fishing for largemouth bass at Hamburg Cove.

I schlepped my kayak, El Habañero, down to the cove and launched at 12:20 pm. The sky was totally overcast and there was an occasional drizzle of rain. The air temperature was in the mid 50s. The water was very clear and its temperature was 46 degrees. I caught the last of the outgoing tide. The water level was already extremely low and still dropping.

Despite the clear water, the lack of sunlight made it hard to see much in the shallow inner cove. However, I didn’t see any perch at all, either yellow or white. It didn’t take long for me to give up on looking for perch and begin searching for bass. And it took even less time for me to boat my first Connecticut largemouth bass of the year:

I ended up boating five keeper largemouth bass and three shorts as I circled the inner and outer coves. I also managed to shake off a small chain pickerel before I had to touch it.

By the time I left the water at 3:45 pm, the water temperature had risen to 48 degrees. Hopefully, the anadromous white perch will begin migrating into the cove soon.

Last edited by PECo on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to mention one of my favorite things about fishing at Hamburg Cove, which is going to Rustic Cafe in East Lyme for something to eat after getting off of the water. It has one of my favorite sandwiches ever, the Fish Reuben, which is made with batter-fried fresh cod:

Last edited by PECo on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Cranky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Looks like your season is under way with a good start (fishing) and a tasty finish (lunch!). Looking forward to reading about more of your trips this year as usual.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Phil. You beat me out again lol. I had great time going to Hamburg Cove with you a few years back, nice place to go. Congrats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: