CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: New Baitcast opinions please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: New Baitcast opinions please Reply with quote

Im torn. Im going to replace my 5 casting reels. Prefer to stay with same manufacture and model for all 5. Some of the reels im looking at dont offer my prefered gear ratio of 5.0. I may be able to deal with the 6.2's, but i find with the higher ratio, i fish to fast and have a hard time slowing down.

Either way, here is what im looking at so far,

Looking at ABU GARCIA REVO S, some other models, and some shimano's, models like Cruxis and citica.

The curado is to much $$$ for me. My idea was to stay under 150 each, but was surprised at the cost of the Revo's when they were recomended to me. They seem like a slam dunk deal, so far. Also, the Revo is much lighter, and just looks better than the shimano comparables Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a lot of people saying good stuff about the Revo's,..but a lot of reels feel good when they are fairly new. The reason why I, personally stick with Shimano, is that they just hold up year, after year, after year.....
THAT's what I'd be concerned about with the Abu's. For me,..that'd be enough reason to go with the Criticas,..especially since they still have that $30 rebate going on them! Just my $.02
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i was actualy looking foreward to your reply.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick with Shimano for both spinning and baitcasting. I tried an Okuma spinning reel and it fell apart after half a season. I’ve purchased Quantum spinning and baitcasting reels and they all fell apart too. I typically don’t buy the less expensive models, as you usually get what you pay for, but the Quantums are just plain crap. I have a Shimano Spirex from when I was a kid, now the things over 15 years old, never cleaned it and it still works perfectly.

You can’t go wrong with Shimano, it’s whether or not you want to dish out the dough for it. The Citica is actually last years Curado, the Curado this year is a whole new reel. Same goes for the Saros and the Stradic. Saros is last years Stradic and this years Stradic is a whole new reel...hence the bump in the price.

Every Shimano I have ever purchased still works just fine. I have had a couple that I have lost parts to while cleaning them during the off season, but once I got the replacement part and put it all back together, I have not had any issues. Bearings and gears tend to hold up over time compared to any other manufacturer. I will only buy Shimano.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Team Daiwa baitcasting guy but their reels are not as reliable until you get in the $200.00 - $300.00 range. Shimano seems to make really nice reels starting at the $90.00 mark so they would be a good option. I also only use Shimano spinning gear. The revos are really getting great reviews, but like it was stated they are new.
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ya'all

I ordered a couple revo s,

Well see
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: